- PhD, Psychology, Southern Illinois University
MA, Psychology, Southern Illinois University
BA, Loyola University Chicago
- Dr. McCarthy came to American University in 1969 as lecturer, and has been promoted to assistant professor, associate professor, and now professor. He teaches an undergraduate course each semester -in the Fall Human Sexual Behavior and in the Spring Psychology of Well-Being. He has published over 75 professional articles, 20 book chapters, and co-authored 12 book for the lay public on topics of relationships and sexuality. He has presented over 300 professional workshops both nationally and internationally.
Journal of Sex and Marital Therapy
Human Sexuality, Sex Therapy, Relapse Prevention of Marital and Sexual Problems, Primary Prevention of Marital and Sexual Problems
In 2008, presented 18 all day professional workshops, 9 conference presentations, and four day training for American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy
Partner, Washington Psychological Center
- McCarthy, B. & Metz, M. (2008). The "Good Enough Sex" Model: A case illustration. Sexual and Relationship Therapy, 23 (3), 227-234.
- McCarthy, B. & Thestrup, M. (2008). Integrating sex therapy interventions with couple therapy. Journal of Contemporary Psychotherapy, 38, 139-149.
- McCarthy, B., Ginsberg, R., & Cintron, J. (2008). Primary prevention in the first two years of marriage. Journal of Family Psychotherapy, 19(2), 143-156.
- McCarthy, B. & Thestrup, M. (2008). Couple therapy and the treatment of sexual dysfunction. In A. Gurman (ed.). Clinical Handbook of Couple Therapy (4th edition), (pp. 591-617). New York: Guilford.
- McCarthy, B. & McCarthy, E. (2009). Discovering Your Couple Sexual Style. New York: Routledge.
- ABPP-Clinical Psychology
- Certified Marital Therapist
- Diplomate in Sex Therapy