- PhD, College of William and Mary
MS, Florida Institute of Technology
BA, University of California, Santa Barbara
- I am interested in molecular evolution and empirical population genetics. Current projects in my lab include: 1) transcriptome profiling of cave and surface populations of freshwater crustaceans, with an aim toward identifying and characterizing patterns of variation in differentially regulated genes, 2) experimental alteration of synonymous codons in bacterial antibiotic resistance genes, and 3) characterization of oncogenic mutations in squamous cell carcinomas of Tpl2-knockout mice.
- Molecular evolution, population genetics, & molecular systematics.
- Ballard A, Bieniek S, and Carlini DB. 2019. The fitness consequences of synonymous mutations in Escherichia coli: experimental evidencefor a pleiotropic effect of translational selection. Gene. (In press).
- Østbye K, Østbye E, Lien AM, Lee LR, Lauritzen SE, and Carlini DB. 2018. Morphology and life history divergence in cave and surface populations of Gammarus lacustris. PLoS One. 13(10):e0205556.https://doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0205556.
- Carlini DB and Fong DW. 2017. The transcriptomes of cave and surface populations of Gammarus minus (Crustacea: Amphipoda) provide evidence for positive selection on cave downregulated transcripts. PLoS One.
- Carlini DB and Makowski M. 2015. Codon bias and gene ontology in holometabolous and hemimetabolous insects. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. doi: 10.1002/jez.b.22647.
- Carlini DB, Satish S, and Fong DW. 2013. Parallel reduction in expression, but no loss of functional constraint, in two opsin paralogs within cave populations of Gammarus minus (Crustacea: Amphipoda). BMC Evol Biol. 13:89. doi: 10.1186/1471-2148-13-89.
- Aspiras AR, Prasad R, Fong DW, Carlini DB, and Angelini D. 2012. Parallel reduction in expression of the eye development gene hedgehog in separately derived populations of the amphipod Gammarus minus. J Evol Biol 25:995-1001.
- Hense W, Anderson N, Hutter S, Stephan W, Parsch J, and Carlini DB. 2010. Experimentally increased codon bias in the Drosophila Adh gene leads to an increase in larval, but not adult, alcohol dehydrogenase activity. Genetics 184:547-555.
- Hutchins B, Fong DW, and Carlini DB. 2010. Genetic population structure of the Madison Cave isopod, Antrolana lira (Flabellifera; Cirolanidae) in the Shenandoah Valley of the eastern United States. J Crust Biol 30:312-322.
- Carlini DB, Manning J, Sullivan PG, and Fong DW. 2009. Molecular genetic variation and population structure in morphologically differentiated cave and surface populations of the freshwater amphipod Gammarus minus. Mol Ecol 18:1932-1945.