- Doctorate, Traduccion e Interpretacion, Universidad de Malaga, Spain
Master’s Degree, Traduccion, Mediacion Cultural e Interpretacion, Universidad de Malaga, Spain
Specialist, Traduccion Juridica, Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
- Languages Spoken
- English and Spanish are Dr Killman's working languages, both of which he endeavors to hone.
- A native of Albuquerque NM who, over the last nine years or so, has been engaged with Spain, its language and culture, ever since he embarked upon the formal study of the language of his ancestors, the Spanish, in the University of New Mexico. After having spent two undergraduate semesters abroad in Spain, one in various locations throughout the country and the other in the Departamento de Lengua Espanola of the Universidad de Granada, Dr Killman, upon completion of his undergraduate studies in UNM, returned to once again undertake and complete in Spanish various studies but at the graduate level, including a doctorate in translation and interpretation in the Universidad de Malaga. Apart from his research in translation, Dr Killman has been asked to translate into English, among others, a number of documents for the Supreme Court of Spain (Tribunal Supremo) dealing with learned opinion on points of law.
Grupo Interuniversitario de Investigacion en Traduccion, Comunicacion y Linguistica Aplicada (G.I. HUM 767 – PAI – Junta de Andalucia) Interuniversity Research Group on Translation, Communication and Applied Linguistics
Translations from Spanish into English
Arroyo Zapatero, Luis and Adan Nieto Martin, eds. European Criminal Area: Current Situation and Future Perspectives. Translated by Jeff A. Killman et al. Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha (in press), 2008.
- ---. European Judicial Criminal Area and European Arrest Warrant. Translated by Jeff A. Killman et al. Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha (in press), 2008.
---. Obtaining Evidence in the Area of Freedom, Security and Justice. Translated by Jeff A. Killman et al. Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha (in press), 2008.
Tribunal Supremo. Jurisprudence of the Spanish Supreme Court. Judicial Year 2004-05. Translated by Jeff A. Killman et al. Madrid: Consejo General del Poder Judicial, 2006.
---. Jurisprudence of the Spanish Supreme Court. Judicial Year 2005-06. Translated by Jeff A. Killman et al. Madrid: Consejo General del Poder Judicial (in press).
Grupo Interuniversitario de Traduccion, Comunicacion y Linguistica Aplicada (HUM 767), ed. Entreculturas nº 1. Journal abstracts in Spanish translated into English by Jeff A. Killman et al. G.I. HUM 767 – PAI – Junta de Andalucia, Universidad de Malaga, 2009. 27 March 2009 <http://www.entreculturas.uma.es/>.
- ---. Entreculturas nº 2. Journal abstracts in Spanish translated into English by Jeff A. Killman et al. G.I. HUM 767 – PAI – Junta de Andalucia, Universidad de Malaga (in press), 2009 <http://www.entreculturas.uma.es/>.
Articles and Chapters in Books
- Killman, Jeff A. “La variacion eponimica de denominacion, semantica y morfologia: el problema de la terminologia medica (celiaca) en ingles y en espanol.” In Traduccion y mediacion cultural: Reflexiones interdisciplinares, edited by M.ª del Carmen Balbuena Torezano and Angeles Garcia Calderon, 325-333. Granada: Atrio S.L., 2006.
---. “Los terminos institucionales en la traduccion al ingles de la Cronica de la Jurisprudencia del Tribunal Supremo espanol.” Equivalences (in press).
- Ortega Arjonilla, Emilio, Nicolas A. Campos Plaza, Julia Lobato Patricio and Jeff A. Killman. “Termjuridica (1): Problemas terminologicos de la traduccion de la Cronica de Jurisprudencia del Tribunal Supremo (2004-05) al ingles y al frances.” In La traduccion e interpretacion juridicas en la Union Europea. Retos para la Europa de los ciudadanos, directed by Emilio Ortega Arjonilla, 227-237. Granda: Editorial Comares, coleccion interlingua, 2008.
Most prestigious translations:
- Translation from Spanish into English of lecture-speech by the PRESIDENTE DEL TRIBUNAL SUPREMO DE ESPANA. Extract from the Court News Flash February 2008 of the Supreme Court of the Philippines (http://sc.judiciary.gov.ph/news/courtnews%20flash/2008/02/02220801.php): "His Excellency Francisco Jose Hernando Santiago, President of the Supreme Tribunal and General Council of the Judiciary of the Kingdom of Spain, delivers his lecture-speech for the First Distinguished Lecture, Series of 2008, at the University Conference Hall of the University of the East, Manila on February 21, 2008. The Spanish chief magistrate commented 'that this event – a display of friendship – would not have been possible without the solid support from the cultural and historical ties existing between the Philippines and Spain.' The English translation of the speech, which was delivered entirely in Spanish, was projected to a widescreen for the benefit of the predominantly Filipino audience. His Excellency was also conferred with a Degree of Doctor of Laws, Honoris Causa by the University of East College of Law. Also gracing the event were Chief Justice Reynato S. Puno, Senior Associate Justice Leonardo A. Quisumbing, Associate Justices Antonio T. Carpio, Conchita Carpio Morales, Adolfo S. Azcuna, Dante O. Tinga, Minita V. Chico-Nazario, Antonio Eduardo B. Nachura and Teresita J. Leonardo-De Castro."
Translation from Spanish into English of address on the structure of the Spanish judicial system and the challenges facing it delivered by the President of the Supreme Court of Spain (Presidente del Tribunal Supremo), Francisco Jose Hernando Santiago, at the International Conference of the Presidents of the Supreme Courts of the World held in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, from 23 - 24 March 2008. The presentations at the conference focused on the challenges facing courts all over the world in administering justice in the 21st century as well as the possible ways in which Syariah law could co-exist harmoniously with other legal and judicial systems. The conference saw participants from over 30 countries in attendance.
General research interests are: specialist translation and the relationship of documentation with the field of discourse; the development of translation know-how and the contributions of theory; and the experimentation of the compilation of statistics on the mechanisms and strategies implemented in the analysis and translation of texts, principally through exhaustive documentation procedures. Also of interest is the linguistic variation in both English and Spanish.
- Killman, Jeff A. “La variacion eponimica de denominacion, semantica y morfologia: El problema de la terminologia medica (celiaca) en ingles y en espanol.” Paper presented at the V Congreso Internacional Traduccion e Interferencias: Traduccion y Mediacion Cultural – En Homenaje a Eugene A. Nida, Cordoba, Spain, December 13–15, 2006.
---. “Los terminos institucionales en la traduccion al ingles de la Cronica de Jurisuprudencia del Tribunal Supremo espanol.” Paper presented at the VIe Congres international Traduction, Texte et Interferences L'enseignement de la traduction et de l'interpretation dans l'Espace europeen de l'enseignement superieur (EEES), Brussels, Belgium, February 14–16, 2008.