- Additional Positions at AU
- Director, Center for Postsecondary Readiness and Success
- PhD, Counselor Education, Oregon State University MEd, Counseling and Guidance, Brigham Young University BS, Psychology, Brigham Young University
- Dr. Laura Owen, Director, Center for Postsecondary Readiness and Success and Research Associate Professor at American University, focuses on evaluating the impact of interventions and programs designed to address the persistent equity and access issues that so many students across the country face.
Refereed Journal Articles
Arnold, K., Owen, L., & Lewis, J. (in review). What One Million Text Messages Reveal about College Access for Low-income Students. American Education Research Journal.
Owen, L., & Westlund, E. (2016). Increasing college opportunity: school counselors and fafsa completion. Journal of College Access, 2(1), 6-26.
Young, A., Gonzalez, I., Owen, L., & Heltzer, J. (2015). The journey from counselor-in-training to practitioner researcher: Bridging the professional gap. Professional School Counseling, 18(1), 216-225.
Castleman, B., Owen, L., & Page, L. (2015). Stay late or start early? Experimental evidence on the benefits of college matriculation support from high schools versus colleges. Economics of Education Review,47, 168-179. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.econedurev.2015.05.010
Journal Special Issues
Owen, L. & Holcomb-McCoy, C. (2017). School counseling and postsecondary success. [Special Issue]. Journal of College Access.
Brown, J., Hatch, T., Holcomb-McCoy, C., Martin, P., Mcleod, J., Owen, L., & Savitz-Romer, M. (2017). The state of school counseling: revisiting the path forward. Washington, DC.
Owen, L. (2016). California colleges guidance initiative formative evaluation report. San Diego, CA.
Owen, L. (2016). California colleges guidance initiative executive summary. San Diego, CA.
Castleman, B., Owen, L., & Page, L. (2015). Report to college bound St. Louis on the implementation and impact of the 2014 summer melt intervention utilizing Bridgit.Dell Foundation and College Bound St. Louis. St. Louis, MO.
Hatch, T., & Owen, L. (2015). Strengthening school counseling and college advising: San Diego state university white house post convening report. San Diego, CA. Retrieved from http://cescal.org/special-projects/white-house-convening
Honors, Awards, and Fellowships
- SDSU College of Education Most Influential Faculty Member Award (2015)
- Johns Hopkins University (JHU) School of Education Excellence in Teaching Award (2013)
Funded Research Grants
- Owen, L. (2019-2022). Center for Postsecondary Readiness and Success Research. Hobsons Inc. Arlington, VA
- Owen, L. (2018-2019). Center for Postsecondary Readiness and Success. The Kresge Foundation.
- Owen, L. (2018-2019). DC Summer Melt Texting Intervention. Raise DC.
- Owen, L. (2018-2019). Up Next Texting Program. Civic Nation. District of Columbia.
- Owen, L. (2017-2019). DC Middle School College Experience. Private Funder.
- Owen, L. (2016-2017). Development of a School Counseling Evaluation Rubric. Alliance College Ready Public Schools. Los Angeles, CA.
- Owen, L. (2015-2016) Formative Evaluation of the Implementation of California Colleges Guidance Initiative (CCGI) in partnership districts. Foundation for California Community Colleges.
- Brown, J., Hatch, T., Holcomb-McCoy, C., Martin, P., Mcleod, J., Owen, L., & Savitz-Romer, M. (2015-2016). National Consortium for School Counseling and Postsecondary Success, Planning Grant for Landscape Study of School Counseling for College and Career Readiness. The Kresge Foundation.
- Arnold, K., Avery, C., Castleman, B., Long, B., Owen, L., & Page, L. (2014-2019). Digital Messaging to Improve College Enrollment and Success. Institute of Education Sciences.
- Castleman, B., Owen, L., & Page, L. (2014-2015). My Summer GPS. Michael and Susan Dell Foundation.