- PhD, American Studies University of Iowa
MA, American Studies, University of Iowa
MA, Creative Writing and Modern Literature, Hollins College
BA, English, Virginia Commmonwealth University
- Languages Spoken
- Conversational German; elementary French and Swedish
- Favorite Spot on Campus
- Katzen Arts Center
- Professor McCann is the author, most recently, of Mother of Sorrows (Vintage, 2006), a collection of linked stories that Michael Cunningham has described as 'almost unbearably beautiful'; He is also the author of Ghost Letters (1994 Beatrice Hawley Award, 1994 Capricorn Poetry Award), a collection of poems, and the editor (with Michael Klein) of Things Shaped in Passing: More 'Poets for Life' Writing from the Aids Pandemic. His worked has appeared in such magazines as The Atlantic, Esquire, Ms., and Tin House, and in numerous anthologies, including The O. Henry Prize Stories 2007 and Best American Essays 2000. For his work, he has received awards and fellowships from the Guggenheim Foundation, the National Endowment for the Arts, the Fine Arts Work Center in Provincetown, The MacDowell Colony, and Yaddo. McCann, who was named the 2005 AU Scholar-Teacher of the Year, serves on the Board of Trustees of the Fine Arts Work Center and the Board of Directors of the PEN/Faulkner Foundation. For more information, please visit his Web site.
Honors, Awards, and Fellowships
- O. Henry Prize Story Award (for "The Diarist"), 2007
- John Simon Guggenheim Foundation Fellowship, 2005-2006
- AU Presidential Research Fellowship, 2005-2006
- American University Scholar-Teacher of the Year Award, 2005
- John C. Zacharis Book Prize (for Mother of Sorrows), 2006
- ALA Stonewall Honor Book Award (for Mother of Sorrows), 2006
- Finalist, Lambda Literary Award, 2006
- Christopher Isherwood Fellowship, 2005-2009
- D.C. Commission on the Arts Individual Artist Fellowship: 2002, 2000, 1998, 1995, 1991
- National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship, 1995
- Capricorn Poetry Award (for Ghost Letters), 1994
- Beatrice Hawley Book Award (for Ghost Letters)
- Stanley Kunitz Fellow, Fine Arts Work Center in Provincetown, 1993
- Fulbright Senior Fellowship, Göteborgs Univesitet, Sweden, 1982-83
- Rockefeller Fellowship in American Film/American Civilization, University of Iowa, 1974-76
- Mother of Sorrows. NY: Pantheon Books, 2005.
- Things Shaped in Passing: More 'Poets for Life' Writing from the AIDS Pandemic. Ed. with Michael
Klein. New York; Persea Books, 1997.
- Ghost Letters. Farmington, Maine: 1994
- Nights of 1990. Harrisburg: Warm Spring Press, 1994
- Dream of the Traveler. Ithaca, NY: Ithaca House, 1976
Paperback edition: Vintage Books, 2006
French edition: La mére des chagrins, Édition-des-Deux Terres (Paris), 2006
Italian edition: La madre di tutti i doloir, Playbround Libri (Rome), 2007
- Atlantic Center for the Arts, New Smyra Beach, FL, May-June 2010
- Numerous residency fellowships between 1984 and 2009 at Yaddo, The MacDowell Colony, the Virginia Center for the Creative Arts, Blue Montain Center, and the DJerassi Foundation.
Area of Expertise
Content is not available at this time.