- 21 credit hours with grades of C or better with at least 12 credit hours unique to the minor and at least 12 credits at the 300-level or above
- All 300-level or above courses and at least 12 of the 21 credit hours in history must be taken at American University.
- One course in ancient or medieval history (any area of the world, focusing on premodern era)
- One course in Asian, Middle Eastern, Latin American, or African history
- One course in European history
- One course in United States history
- Additional courses to make a total of 21 credit hours in history. With department approval, up to 6 credit hours earned from Advanced Placement (AP) and/or International Baccalaureate (IB) examinations in history may be counted toward this requirement.