Welcome to American University. Whether you're a new student, or returning, the CAS Undergraduate Advising Office shares words of wisdom for the year ahead:
- Get to Know your Professors. Go to office hours and talk, even when you don't have a specific question. These relationships will help you grow, and also will help when you need a recommendation for graduate school.
- Expect New Challenges. College is way different than high school and we have resources to help with the transition.
- Think outside of the box. Learning doesn't stop when you leave the classroom. Being active on campus not only allows you to expand your social circle, it will help you gain transferable skills for your future.
- Take Advantage of Academic Support. The Academic Support and Access Center offers free tutoring for certain classes; the Writing Center will help you shape your research paper; and the Math/Stats Lab will help you hone your skills.
- Learn How to Retain Information. Either type or handwrite your class notes over again within a day after class. Information retention is higher when the information is reviewed within 24 hours of hearing it.
- Go to the Career Center often. Workshops, networking events, and individual appointments will help you figure out what options you have for your future.
- Be Open to Exploring. If you don't know what you want to major in, that is okay! We offer a ton of resources to help you narrow down your options.
- Take Care of Yourself. Getting enough sleep, eating right, and exercising will all help you stay healthy and do well academically. We want you at your best!
- Study Abroad. When else can you study and explore another country?
- Visit your Academic Advisor. Not only are they knowledgeable about the university, they are awesome people and want to get to know you!