Performing Arts: Musical Theatre (BA)
Admission to the Program
Formal admission to the major requires demonstrated talent through an audition arranged with the department, preferably prior to beginning university studies. However, a student may enter as an intended major and audition once matriculated. Students will be accepted based on programmatic approval and written declaration of major.
- 120 credit hours with a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or better
- Completion of college writing requirement
- Completion of university mathematics requirement
General Education Requirements
- A total of ten courses, consisting of two courses from each of the five foundational areas
- At least one course from Area Five: The Natural and Mathematical Sciences must include a laboratory science component
- No more than two courses may be taken in the same discipline
- 51 credit hours with grades of C or better
- Students who wish to study abroad must receive prior approval from their advisor in order to ensure that appropriate courses will transfer and that scholarships and financial aid will apply.
- Participation in a minimum of four department productions in either a performance or technical capacity. One of these must be done as stage manager or assistant stage manager and one must be in another technical capacity.
Core (24 credit hours)
- PERF-115 Theatre: Principles, Plays, and Performance FA1 (3)
- PERF-251 Fundamentals of Acting I (3)
- PERF-260 Stagecraft (3)
- PERF-261 Introduction to Stage Design (3)
- PERF-262 Stage Management (1)
- PERF-265 Theatre Practicum (1) (taken twice for a total of 2 credit hours)
- PERF-365 Theatre History I: From the Greeks to the Eighteenth Century (3)
- PERF-366 Theatre History II: From the Nineteenth Century to the Present (3)
- PERF-445 Senior Capstone (3) : Musical Theatre
Musical Theatre (27 credit hours)
- PERF-227 Musicianship I (3)
- PERF-228 Musicianship II (3)
- PERF-252 Fundamentals of Acting II (3)
- PERF-340 From Scene Into Song (3)
- PERF-346 Survey of Musical Theatre (3)
- PERF-455 Dance Styles for Musical Theatre (3)
- PERF-456 Acting IV: Audition Techniques (3)
3 courses in dance techniques from the following, taken over three different semesters, for a minimum total of 3 credits hours:
- PERF-109 Dance Practicum (1)
- PERF-209 Dance Practicum (1)
- PERF-309 Dance Practicum (1)
- PERF-409 Dance Practicum (1)
3 courses in vocal techniques from the following, taken over three different semesters, for a minimum total of 3 credit hours:
University Honors Program
To graduate with University Honors in the major through the University Honors Program, students must meet the requirements detailed on the Honors website and have been enrolled as either a first-year student between Fall 1989 and Spring 2014, or as a transfer or self-nominated student through Spring 2015. The University Honors Program should not be confused with the AU Honors Program, which begins in Fall 2014 and has separate requirements, also detailed on the Honors website.
Combined Bachelor's and Master's Degrees
American University offers students the opportunity to earn both undergraduate and graduate degrees through its combined bachelor's/master's programs. See Combined Bachelor's and Master's Degrees for more information.