Public Sociology (Graduate Certificate)
Admission to the Program
Open to students with a bachelor's degree or equivalent from an accredited institution.
- 12 credit hours of approved coursework with at least 6 credit hours at the 600-level or above, with grades of C or better. Grades of C- or D in certificate program courses are not accepted toward the fulfillment of certificate requirements, although these grades will be included in the calculation of the GPA. Students must have at least a 3.0 GPA in certificate courses in order to be awarded a certificate. Students in certificate programs must take a minimum of 6 credit hours during each 12-month period and complete the certificate in four years. International students must enroll in 9 credit hours each semester (except for summer). A maximum of 3 credit hours earned at an accredited college or university may be applied toward the certificate as transfer credit.
Required (6 credit hours)
- SOCY-525 Social Advocacy and Social Change (3) (3)
- SOCY-580 Social Policy Analysis (3) (3)
- SOCY-684 Seminar in Public Sociology (3) (3)
Electives (6 credit hours)
- 6 credit hours in graduate-level coursework relevant to public sociology selected in consultation with the graduate advisor. Courses outside the Sociology Department may be substituted with the approval of the graduate director.