American University offers a diverse portfolio of programs for students interested in Latin American and Latino affairs. The Center for Latin American & Latino Studies seeks to support students by connecting them to faculty members, courses, and other opportunities to engage with Latin American and Latino studies. Doctoral students have the option to be featured on the CLALS website, and may collaborate with CLALS staff and faculty on research projects. The Center also connects with students via an email listserv that periodically communicates job, internship, and other research opportunities. To join the listserv, please email email@example.com with "student list" in the subject line.
In addition, the Center has also offered research support to graduate students through field research grants. Past grants were made possible by the Tinker Foundation and by Center funding. Information on future graduate student field research grants will be available on this webpage and through the student listserv.
Finally, select graduate students often serve as part-time research assistants at the Center during the academic year. Current student assistant opportunities are available for the Spring 2018 semester and Summer 2018:
While the Center does not offer courses, degrees or certificates, we've compiled a list below of academic programs. For specific information about academic programs, please contact the unit of interest directly using the links provided below.
- MA in International Affairs: Comparative and Regional Studies
- MIS in International Service: International Studies track
- Graduate Certificate in the Americas
- MA in Natural Resources and Sustainable Development, a Dual Degree Program with the University of Peace in Costa Rica
SIS graduate students may also study abroad in Latin America.
The International Dimensions in Management for Kogod graduate students rotates countries every year. Past trips have included Brazil, Chile and Argentina.
Washington College of Law students are offered the opportunity to spend a summer abroad in Chile and Argentina where they focus on trade and investment in Latin America and comparative legal perspectives on social problems.
Minor Language & Area Studies: Spanish/Latin America
(joint degree with College of Arts and Sciences)
SIS undergraduate students the opportunity to participate in a wide menu of field schools and
study abroad opportunities in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Costa Rica.
- BA Spanish Studies
- BA Language & Area Studies: Spanish/Latin America (offered jointly with the School of International Service)
- BA Foreign Language & Communication Media (offered jointly with the School of Communication)
- BS Business, Language & Culture Studies (offered jointly with the Kogod School of Business)
- Minor Spanish Language
- Minor Language & Area Studies: Spanish/Latin America
- Undergraduate Translation Certificate: Spanish
- BA Foreign Language & Communication Media (offered jointly with College of Arts and Sciences)