You are here: American University Coronavirus Community Resource FAQ - Campus Facilities and Services

FAQ - Campus Facilities and Services

Jump to section:

Student Experience

Housing and Residence Life


Campus Facilities, Operations, and Services

Student Experience

With no activities on campus, how will AU build community?

Experiential learning is central to learning and growth. Throughout the semester, we will work with students to conceptualize and implement community-building initiatives, deploy virtual and immersive experiences, and create opportunities for student mentorship. Although we must continue to modify our activities to promote safety, we will still have student organizations, unique speakers, and other opportunities to build community. 

We augmented our curricular offerings with a virtual suite of career-readiness and self-care skill building workshops, courses, and guest speakers. This includes a Skills Development Institute for students to develop market-relevant skills. Programs will feature alumni, staff, faculty, and friends of the university to provide a wide range of perspectives and learning opportunities.

How can I learn more about my career options, student jobs and internships?

The Career Center is an online resource center for services related to career advising appointments, education programs, recruiting events and more.

Where can I find more Athletics and Recreation information?

Please visit the Athletics FAQ site for updates and additional information.

Housing and Residence Life

Will any students live on campus?

We are excited to welcome over 1250 undergraduates to campus for a mid-semester residential experience that will begin in March and run through May. Please see the Mid-Semester Residential Experience FAQ for additional information. This is in addition to the limited number of students in emergency housing.

How do I apply for spring 2021 emergency housing?

Emergency Housing is for those with specific requirements to be on-campus and/or acute needs. Space is limited and students are encouraged to apply as soon as they are ready. The priority deadline to apply was November 17, 2020. Students who believe they are eligible for Emergency Housing after this date should send an email to and should explain their need for housing. Please see Housing & Residence Life FAQs for additional information.

Can students residing off-campus utilize on-campus isolation housing?

On-Campus isolation housing is only available to students residing in AU-operated residence hall. Off-campus students can contact the AU Health Center and should follow local regulations related to isolation.

How will mail and packages for students be handled?

Please see Housing & Residence Life FAQs for additional information.


What dining services will be available on campus?

One Card & Dining Services are available via appointment only:

  • To schedule an appointment, please use our Self-Service Appointment Scheduler.
  • Week of January 11 – 22, available appointments are Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. (not including MLK Jr Holiday and Inauguration Day, January 21, and January 22)
  • Week of January 25 – 29, available appointments are Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
  • Starting the Week of February 1, available appointments are Mondays and Wednesdays, 9:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.

One Card & Dining Services will be available remotely Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., via our virtual forms of communication and

Students living on campus can find more information on the Spring 2021 Housing page about One Card and Dining Services.

Campus Facilities, Operations, and Services

What services will be available on campus?

Please see the Campus Services and Hours page for details on current campus operations.

Will I have access to buildings on campus?

Physical access to university facilities is restricted to access with an AU One Card during the spring semester. A few buildings are available to all current students, faculty, and staff with an AU One Card during specified hours for studying and small group meetings that comply with safety guidelines. AU has a reservation system in place for students to book meetings of no more than three people in select rooms in the Mary Graydon Center and Don Myers Building. We also expanded access to the ground floor of the SIS building and piloted limited access to the fitness center with a reservation system.

In addition, some schools and departments have elected to restrict people’s card access to facilities to a select group of administrators to limit the number of people in the buildings. These measures being taken across campus will improve the safety of any occupants who need to access their offices, as well as maintain the security of the buildings and their contents. During this time, university police officers will continue to conduct routine patrols of the buildings across campus and provide updates on any additional university facilities.

If you are planning to visit the campus for any reason, please complete the required daily self-screening questionnaire prior to reporting to AU’s campus. The screening will be completed via the AU Forward portal.

Will visitors be allowed on campus?

AU is not allowing visitors at this time. We will continue to monitor health and safety conditions and guidance from health and government officials, including the ReOpen DC plan, and will revisit accordingly.

All employees and students are required to complete a daily self-screening questionnaire prior to reporting to AU’s campus and follow all health and safety protocols.

Will the fitness centers be open for use?

All fitness centers are currently closed. When conditions allow, Cassell Fitness Center will be the first to open. Entrance will be limited to currently enrolled students and by appointment only. Please visit the RecFit website to learn more, to download the reservation mobile app, and to participate in our ongoing, virtual programming.

With a variety of schedules for faculty and staff, how will parking be handled?

Parking enforcement and payment requirements remain suspended until further notice. Faculty and staff enrolled in payroll deductions can submit a cancellation request to Additional information is also available on the Parking and Commuter Services page.

Will there be a discounted parking rate for commuters during the spring semester?

Parking rates have not changed for the spring 2021 semester. See Parking and Commuter Services for more information.

Will I still be able to order from the campus store website at

Yes. We will continually review operations as developments emerge, but we anticipate being able to fulfill online orders indefinitely. However, due to campus-related restrictions, there may be some delays in receiving orders, and we cannot guarantee expedited shipping on orders at this time. The refund deadline for the spring 2021 semester is February 2, 2021. Return in person via drop box or by mail by this date.

What is the Rental Check-In deadline at the Campus Store?

The Rental Check-In deadline for spring 2021 is May 15, 2021. Return in person via drop box or by mail: Return your rentals to the Butler Pavilion, 3rd Floor by May 15, 2021. Include your name and Patron ID with your rental return. You can also ship using your choice carrier at your expense; please make sure your shipment is postmarked by May 15, 2021.

If my office is located in a building with limited access and/or temperature adjustments and I need to conduct my class from there, can I do so?

Yes, you can access individual offices in buildings with adjusted energy use in compliance with the health and safety plan and procedures implemented by your individual department or unit. You should check with your manager or HR representative regarding your specific unit’s building protocols. Faculty intending to come to campus for teaching purposes should fill out the registration form. When visiting any campus facilities, you are required to follow university health and safety protocols and directives, including wearing face coverings and practicing physical distancing. Any day that you come to campus, you must complete the Self-Screening form on the AU Forward portal.

Do I need permission to be on campus? Who do I get it from if I am a faculty member?

Faculty and staff should minimize the time spent on campus to help lower density. You should check with your manager or HR representative for the procedures in place for your specific department or unit. Faculty intending to come to campus for teaching purposes should fill out the registration form, even if you have already completed other forms related to campus activity (e.g., the Return to Research form). Any day that you come to campus, you must complete the Self-Screening form on the AU Forward portal.

Is my ID card is automatically activated for all buildings?

Your ID card will only work for buildings where you are approved for access.

Student ID cards will provide access to the Don Myers Technology and Innovation Building and Mary Graydon Center (first floor) from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., 7 days a week. These buildings are for studying and academic use only. The Student Health Center (McCabe Hall and Gray Hall lounge) will be open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and Bender Library will be available by appointment onlyAt the Washington College of Law (WCL), the Warren Building and the Yuma Building will be available to students by reservation.

Faculty and staff can access Mary Graydon Center, the SIS building, and the specific building(s) in which they work with their existing ID card. Your ID card will not work for other campus buildings.

Are any buildings available as study spaces for students? Do I need to make reservations?

Yes, students can access the Don Myers Technology and Innovation Building and Mary Graydon Center (first floor) from 8:00 11:00 p.m., 7 days a week for studying. Certain buildings, such as Bender Library and the Warren and Yuma Buildings on the WCL Tenley Campus require reservations. All community members must wear face coverings and practice physical distancing while using any facilities.

If I complete the faculty form for on-campus activity, do I have to wait for approval will before I can use my office?

No, once you complete the form it will be registered, and you can proceed to access your office. Please comply with all health and safety directives when on campus.