To protect the health and safety of the entire American University community, we require all commencement participants to agree to and abide by American University Health and Safety Directives and the District of Columbia public health and safety requirements. All commencement participants are required to wear face coverings at all times. Graduates or guests exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 should not attend commencement.
Please read carefully the additional requirements for graduates and guests attending the Fall Commencement ceremonies on Sunday, December 19.
Requirements for Graduates Participating in Commencement:
- Graduating students must be registered to participate in commencement. A student’s regalia order serves as their registration to participate.
- Graduates must have proof of vaccination on file through the Student Health Portal.
- Graduates with approved vaccination exemptions must be tested at the campus testing facility and show proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken on Thursday, December 16, or Friday, December 17.
- Graduating students who did not previously upload a proof of vaccination because they are an online full-time student or summer graduate must upload their proof of vaccination to the Student Health Portal by November 15.
- Vaccine boosters will not be required for participation in commencement.
Requirements for Guests Attending Commencement:
- Tickets will be required for admittance to the Fall Commencement ceremonies. Children three and older will require a ticket. See below for additional information.
- All guests age twelve and older must be fully vaccinated as defined by the CDC prior to attending the ceremonies. Children three and older must wear face coverings while on campus.
- Graduates will be required to complete an attestation form stating that their guests are vaccinated when they access their electronic guest tickets.
- Graduates will be required to provide contact tracing details (name, cell number, and email) for their guests.