If you need a pay stub for proof of income, use the on-screen 'Print' button to generate a printable pay advice. Using your browser's print button will not generate an appropriate pay advice.
All university paychecks and direct deposit advices include information related to pay period and year-to-date earnings, deductions and benefits. The information in the following section defines data provided in each of four sections of the pay advice.
Direct Deposit Advice
|4400 Massachusetts Ave NW||Account/Amount||AU ID: 1234567|
|Apt XYZ||****1234 879.74||Pay End Date: 09/08/2017|
|Washington, DC 20016||Advice Date: 09/22/2017|
|Advice Number: 123456|
|Net Amount: $879.74|
The top of your pay advice will display the following information:
- Home/In-Session Address
- This address is your home address and for students it will be their in-session address
- Pay Type (Check or Deposit)
- If the payment was direct deposited, the last four digits of the bank account number and the amount deposited will be displayed
- AU ID
- ID number only displays when printed
- Pay period end date
- The last day of the reporting period you were paid for
- Advice/Check Date
- The actual date the payment was made
- Advice/Check Number
- The number that identifies the payment
- Net Amount
- The amount actually paid
|Vacation Balance||Var. Hol. Balance||Sick Leave Balance||Federal Exempt||Additional Fed. Tax||State Code||State Exempt||Additional State Tax|
Information pertinent to leave and tax withholding is contained in this section:
- Vacation Balance
- The total hours of vacation available to use.
- Variable Holiday Balance
- The total amount of variable holiday hours available for use. Note: You may only take this time in a full day increments. Leave must be earned during the fiscal year. One day for each six months worked (May 1st to October 31st and November 1st to April 30th). Leave can used at any time, but if you leave the university prior to the time needed to earn the time, you will have to pay this time back.
- Sick Leave Balance
- The total hours of sick leave available to use.
- Federal Exemptions
- The number of exemptions you have claimed on the W-4 form you submitted to the HR/Payroll Office. Note: If you do not see a number, then the Payroll Office has not received/processed a W-4 form for you and are withholding at the highest rate per IRS regulations. If you see S XX where XX corresponds to the calendar year (ie: S 17 for 2017), then you have elected to be exempt from tax withholding.
- Additional Federal Tax
- The amount of additional money you have requested to be added to your regular withholding amounts per your W-4 form.
- State Code
- The state where taxes are currently being withheld to. If this state does not match where your tax liability is due, please contact the Payroll Office.
- State Exemptions
- The number of exemptions you filed on the state withholding form submitted to the HR/Payroll Office.
- Additional State Tax
- The amount of additional money you have requested to be added to your regular withholding amounts per your state withholding form.
|Gross Earnings||Fed. Taxable Amount||F.I.C.A.||Federal W/H Tax||State W/H Tax||Other Deductions||Net Pay|
Reflects the current period and the year-to-date (Y-T-D) amounts. Year-to-date is calculated based on earnings and deductions within the calendar year of payment.
- Gross Earnings
- The actual total amount paid for all earnings in this pay period
- Federal Taxable Earnings
- The taxable earnings that will be reported on the applicable year's W-2 form. This amount is derived from the gross wages - pretax deductions + taxable income (ie: tution remission, when applicable)
- Combined Social Security and Medicare taxes withheld. Note: The University matches employee contributions sent to the Social Security Administration
- Federal Withholding Tax
- Federal tax withheld for this pay. Taxes are withheld per the employee's selection on their W-4 form, which are referenced against the payroll system's tax tables during payment calculation.
- State Withholding Tax
- State tax withheld for this pay. Taxes are withheld per the employee's selection on their state withholding form, which are referenced against the payroll system's tax tables during payment calculation.
- Other Deductions
- Combined totals of all benefits and deductions withheld from pay.
- Net Pay
- Actual amount paid (Gross earnings less FICA, Federal Tax, State Tax and other deductions).
|Regular Earnings||70.00||1,250.00||17,529.59||BCBS Medical Ind PreTax||33.22||531.52|
|Student Earnings - Fica Exempt||0.00||0.00||1,529.59||Ret Match Pre-Tax||62.51||875.14|
|Admin. Pay W/Benefits||0.00||0.00||35.59||FICA - Medicare||17.65||258.82|
|Sick Leave||0.00||0.00||62.51||FICA - Soc Security||75.45||1,106.44|
|Vacation leave||0.00||0.00||500.08||Federal W/H Tax Single||123.90||1,901.15|
|Holiday Pay||0.00||0.00||250.04||DC W/H Tax - Single||57.73||933.50|
The bottom portion of the pay advice contains all pertinent employee earnings and deductions with their period and year-to-date amounts.
- Description of earnings paid
- Related hours
- Related current pay
- Related Y-T-D pay
- Description of deduction
- Related current deduction amount
- Related Y-T-D deduction amount