The mission of the Social Responsibility, Business Practices and Service Project Team is to contribute to the university's ability to secure and manage high-quality supplies and services in a manner that minimizes cost to the institution and is compatible with the social responsibility principles for American University business partners.
The team comprises faculty, students, staff, and alumni who have an understanding of the university's existing policies and practices that incorporate principles of social responsibility. They advise university administration and work with people throughout the university who are responsible for various aspects of procurement and acquisition of goods and services.
To fulfill its responsibilities, the team:
- provides information, advice, and recommendations on current or emerging social issues that should be taken into account when securing goods and services;
- serves as a point of contact for members of the university community who wish to provide information or express concerns about social responsibility impacts of the university's policies or practices;
- provides one representative to committees and panels established by the Office of Vice President for Finance and Treasurer to ensure effective communication for certain large, long-term contracts not governed by existing, explicit agreements or legal obligations;
- considers and makes recommendations on how our service to the District of Columbia can be enhanced through our own efforts or in collaboration with business partners;
- provides annual reports on its activities to the Chief Financial Officer, Vice President and Treasurer that will be posted for review for the entire university community; and
- makes recommendations on changes to general policies, including the Statement of Social Responsibility and the two-year objectives related to goal seven of the strategic plan.