Responsible purchasing is a key component of AU's sustainability program. We buy a number of greener products and have adopted a formal sustainable purchasing policy to further advance these practices.
What AU Is Doing to Buy Green
- In 2010, AU adopted a Sustainable Purchasing Policy. Click on the Related Link at right to download the policy.
- AU buys EPEAT certified laptop and desktop computers. In 2012, 99.9% of computers and monitors met EPEAT Gold criteria. For more information, click the link on the side.
- We purchase Green Seal Certified cleaning chemicals where they are available.
- We purchase ENERGY STAR-rated electronic equipment, such as office printers.
- Inline water filters are available to replace bottled water.
- A portion of the food sold on campus is local and/or sustainably produced. According to a survey completed by Bon Appetit in fall 2010, 36% of food purchased by the university was grown and processed within 250 miles of campus and/or certified as a sustainable food by a third-party certification organization (USDA Certified Organic, Marine Stewardship Council Blue Ecolabel, Food Alliance, Fair Trade, Rainforest Alliance, Protected Harvest).
- Fair trade coffee is available in select locations on campus.
- AU is a member of the Responsible Purchasing Network.
- AU supports small, local, and disadvantaged businesses with contracting goals and requirements. See “CBE Purchasing Policy” in related links.