Maven is a connected, seamless car sharing service available to American University community members with a free annual membership, low hourly and daily rental rates. Prices are based on what type of car you reserve and the length of your rental period. Your rental rate includes gas, insurance, maintenance, and all other associated costs.
- Washington College of Law - 1 Vehicle
- East Campus Surface Lot - 2 Vehicles
- East Campus Garage - 1 Electric Vehicle
- 3201 New Mexico Avenue NW - 1 Vehicle
- Lower Level Letts Roadway - 2 Vehicles
Two large capacity SUVs are for the exclusive use of student organizations, club sports, and other qualifying programs. For more information on how to qualify for usage, contact the Office of Parking & Commuter Services at: email@example.com
How to Begin Driving
- Download the Maven app from the App Store or Google Play Store or visit Maven's website at: www.maven.com
- Enter your personal information, including your American University e-mail address (@american.edu).
Select ‘Other’ if your license is from outside the United States or from Puerto Rico.
- Maven will send you a confirmation email. Check your e-mail and confirm the address you have entered.
- Return to the Maven app or at www.maven.com and complete the registration process with your credit/debit card and driver’s license information. The Maven app asks you to take a picture of your documents for accuracy and speed of service.
Once all steps are completed, your application will be under review. Most will be approved within a few minutes; international licenses will need to submit additional documentation that will be outlined in an e-mail to you.
To be eligible, you must:
- Apply and be approved for a membership.
- Be an university affiliate with an @american.edu e-mail address.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Possess a valid, U.S. state issued driver's license which is not suspended, revoked or restricted (see additional details below regarding international driver’s licenses).
- Accept the Member Agreement and Terms & Conditions.
- Accept the OnStar Terms & Conditions and OnStar Privacy Agreement.
- Read General Motor’s Privacy Statement.
Typically within minutes, but can take up to a few hours after you complete registration. Maven will need to review your driving record before you are approved to drive (Maven does not do background checks or credit checks). You will receive an email about the status of your registration after this review has been completed.
Yes. However, if you possess a non-US driver’s license it must be considered valid in the state in U.S. state in which you reside. To register, download the app and complete the following steps:
- When choosing state from the drop down list select "Other."
- During driver's license capture select "United States" as the region.
- Enter the license number as it appears.
- Complete the payment section. Your card must be issued and distributed by a U.S. or Canadian bank.
- Upon completing your registration, send a front and back copy of your driver's license to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "International Driver's License" for approval.
When you join, you gain access to our fleet of Vehicles simply by using your smartphone. At the time of your reservation, just walk up to Vehicle with the smartphone you made your reservation with. Once you have confirmed your Bluetooth is turned on, press the unlock button in the App to access the vehicle.
The Maven app is available for iPhone with iOS 9.3 or above or Android 5.0 devices with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
- Tap Find a Car in the Maven app
- Use either the map view or list view to see a list of available cars (and filter results with the magnifying glass if you want)
- Select the car you want
- Select your desired start and end time
- Enter promo/referral code (if available)
- Tap "Reserve"
Note: You will need to have registered with an American University e-mail address to see the available cars on-campus and have the community code for the two large capacity vehicles.