The Department of Athletics and Recreation's accomplishments are a consistent source of pride, spirit, and well-being for the entire university community. This is evidenced by:
- 67 Patriot League Championships;
- 38 NCAA team and individual appearances;
- 32 All-America selections;
- 36 League Scholar-Athlete of the Year awards; and
- 25 Academic All-America selections the department has claimed over the last eight years.
The Eagles compete in 16 NCAA Division I intercollegiate sports for women and men and sponsor many club and intramural opportunities and programs that support the personal health and fitness of everyone on campus. AU has enjoyed a great deal of recent success, highlighted by runs to the NCAA tournament by the volleyball, field hockey, and men's basketball teams in the 2013-2014 season.
AU's program is driven by its comprehensive success across its many teams and by the record-setting academic achievements of its student-athletes.
In the 2012-2013 season alone, the Eagles boasted the following accomplishments:
- 4 teams finished with a GPA of 3.4 or higher (women's lacrosse, field hockey, volleyball, and women's soccer)
- 5 Eagles were named Regional Academic All-Americans
- 22 earned Academic All-Patriot League selections
- Women's lacrosse earned a combined GPA of 3.6, the highest amongst NCAA Division 1 women's lacrosse teams
- Mens’ swimming and diving was recognized for earning the third-highest team GPA in the country (behind only Harvard and Yale)