The Department of Athletics and Recreation's accomplishments are a consistent source of pride, spirit, and well-being for the entire university community. This is evidenced by:
- 67 Patriot League Championships;
- 38 NCAA team and individual appearances;
- 32 All-America selections;
- 36 League Scholar-Athlete of the Year awards; and
- 25 Academic All-America selections the department has claimed over the last eight years.
The Eagles compete in 16 NCAA Division I intercollegiate sports for women and men and sponsor many club and intramural opportunities and programs that support the personal health and fitness of everyone on campus. Recent accomplishments include the university's first ever national championship by wrestler Josh Glenn '08 as well as the first ever trip to the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship in 2008.
AU's program is driven by its comprehensive success across its many teams and by the record-setting academic achievements of its student-athletes:
- AU placed 85 students on the Patriot League Academic Honor Roll in the fall of 2008.
- 20 students earned at least a 3.75 GPA and nine earned a perfect 4.00 GPA.
- Eagles teams regularly finish in the top of national, academic rankings and in 2007 the Field Hockey (3.51 team GPA) and Wrestling (3.33 team GPA) teams placed 2nd and 1st, repectively,in the country for highest team GPAs.