Founded in Spring 2015 with great collaboration from the AU Black Student Alliance (BSA), the Black Alumni Alliance (BAA) Book Award provides financial assistance to deserving undergraduate students and rewards the progress of those who demonstrate strong connections to the black, Caribbean, and African-heritage community through student leadership, community service, and/or strong academic performance.
Minimum Application Requirements:
- Undergraduate student (with at least 30 credits or transfer with 30 approved credits)
- Contact Information
- Short essay: In 250 to 500 words, describe an academic, leadership, and/or service role taken in the community or on campus to support the black, Caribbean, and African-heritage community. Activity supporting the Black/African-Heritage community can be evidenced in at least one of three ways:
- Academic degree program and research
- Student Leadership at American University
- Community Service outside of American University
- Resume: Students who do not have a resume can utilize the Career Center as a resource at https://www.american.edu/careercenter/advising-appointments.cfm.
- University or Community Staff Reference: Students must submit the name and contact information of one reference from AU faculty, staff, alumni, or community organization to support their application.
$500 award divided in Fall and Spring semester (unless the winner is a graduating senior expecting to finish in the Fall semester), every year up to four years.
Complete the form and submit all application materials by Sunday, July 25, 2021.
Director of Multicultural and Affinity Engagement