AhealthyU's Healthy Weight Program supports you through the entire three months with personal and team coaching as well as other support programs worth over $600 in value!
- 1-on-1 consultations with a Health Coach
Evaluate your current lifestyle habits and create a plan that helps you reach your goals. Two 25-minute complimentary in-person or telephonic sessions per participant. Schedule a consultation online. For telephonic sessions, please call (712) 770-4010. Use access code: 515182.
- Group personal training
Participate in sessions with a personal trainer. You can choose to train with your own team members (if you chose to be part of a team) or other Healthy Weight Program participants. Find a time that is convenient for you! Schedule up to four complimentary sessions per person.
- AhealthyU group fitness classes - No registration required
Attend any of our group fitness classes exclusively for faculty and staff at no charge.
- Pre and post fitness assessments by LawFit®
Choose from a comprehensive or basic assessment that allows you to see how much you've accomplished during the challenge. Schedule your fitness assessments: Pre Assessment or Post Assessment. What to expect at your fitness assessment.
- Raise money to donate to an AU charitable fund of your choice upon reaching your goal. Choose up to two of the following AU funds: The Market – AU's Food Pantry, AU Fund for Excellence, University Librarian Visionary Fund, or Kay Spiritual Life Center Endowment.
AhealthyU donates $5 at each monthly benchmark over three months (total of $15) to one of four AU charities when participants achieve their benchmark goals.
- Choose to recruit friends, family members, and coworkers to sponsor you, then that money will also be donated at the end of each month to the four AU funds or additional external charities if participants hit the benchmark goals.
100% for $100 Raffle - Every participant that meets their goal at the end of the program has a chance to win an additional $100 donation for their AU charity of choice. AhealthyU will randomly draw five winners out of all participants who have achieved at least 100% of their goal. The $5 registration fee paid at the beginning of the program goes directly to this pot.
Follow the step by step instructions below to register for the Healthy Weight Program or download the Givhero Guide.
- Determine if you will participate as an individual or a team. You may participate as a team of 4 to 7 members, but each team member must register individually.
- You must use your mobile device to initially register for the Healthy Weight Program. Tap on the following link from your mobile device: https://givhero.page.link/ahealthyu-hwp. Register now through January 22nd.
If you do not have access to sign up through a mobile device, you may use a friend or family member’s mobile device for the initial registration. After that, you can log into your profile online through a computer at the following link: www.givhero.com/challenges/healthy-weight-program-ahealthyu.
- Join the Healthy Weight Program by AhealthyU and set a monthly weight loss or maintenance goal.
- Submit your weight. No weight verification necessary. Go to Profile >> Log Activity >> Select the Current Weight and date.
On any day, you can only enter data for last 2 days. If you enter the same activity for the same day more than once, the latest log will be considered.
- Select your favorite AU fund from the list available. You may select up to two charities. Make sure your charity is selected before moving to the next step.
- From the Healthy Weight Program, scroll down and tap Charities You're Supporting.
- On the Your Favorite Charities screen, make sure that the check box next to the charity name is selected.
- Tap the check mark in the top-right corner of the screen to save your selection.
- Connect a tracker (optional). Connect a health or fitness tracker such as Google Fit, Health for iOS, or Fitbit. You can use Givhero to track your workouts too.
- Make sure to give permission to read Steps and Workouts from your Apple Health app or Activities in Fitbit device.
- Givhero syncs with your connected device every 15 minutes.
- Upload profile photo (optional). If you set your profile as public, you get a landing page at givhero.com where your photo displays. A photo is a great way to make this page personal.
- Setup a Team (optional). While team members still work toward their own individual goals (there is not a "team goal"), you can create a team and set fitness goals to keep each other accountable for fitness activities.
- To create a team:
- In the Givhero app, go to Profile
- Scroll Down
- Tap on Teams and tap on Create Team.
- Enter your team name and tap Save.
- Do Not make team public.
- You can upload team profile pic and enter team description.
- Tap on Save
- Invite members:
- On newly created team screen, tap Members >> tap on Invite a Member.
- You can connect to your Gmail, Phone Contacts or just type the email address.
- Select contacts to send invitation
- Tap on Send Invitation
- Assign administrator: admins can manage all the functionality of team like invite other team members, create team goals etc.
- Select the team
- Tap Members
- Tap on any team member
- Tap Make an Administrator to make member admin.
- Create a team goal. You can create only fitness activity goals for teams.
- Go to Profile >> Teams
- Select the team
- Scroll down
- Tap on View Goals
- Tap on + on top right hand corner
- Tap on any goal and save
- Invite friends and family to sponsor you. AhealthyU will donate $5 at each monthly benchmark over three months (total of $15) to one of four AU charities when participants achieve their goal. Optional: You may make your own pledge or invite friends and family to donate when you reach your goal. There is a list of external charities available for your family and friends.
- Program fee for each participant is $5. Submit your fee by cash or check (made payable to "American University") to the AhealthyU office in McCabe 225 or through campus mail by January 22nd. The $5 registration fee goes directly to the "100% for $100 Raffle" (see "Charitable Giving" tab for more details).
- Submit your AhealthyU Exercise Release form. You can submit your signed release form through one of the three methods stated below:
- In-person to the AhealthyU Office in McCabe Hall, Room 225 through 9/28. (Monday - Friday, 10:00am to 3:00pm); or
- Send your release form via campus mail to AhealthyU in McCabe Hall, Room 225; or
- Scan and email your signed release form to email@example.com.
- Achieve your goal. You're a giving hero!
- To log your weight, in the Givhero app, Go to Profile >> Log Activity >> Select the Current Weight and date. On any day, you can only enter data for last 2 days. If you enter the same activity for the same day more than once, the latest log will be considered. If you are not using the Givhero app and would like to submit your weight online, follow the instructions:
1. Login to Givhero at https://www.givhero.com/login
2. Click Log Activity in left navigation menu
3. Select the Current Weight from the Activity drop down
4. Select Date for which you are reporting the weight
5. Click Add
- Weigh-in during each of the three monthly benchmarks:
- January 22 - February 22
- February 23 - March 22
- March 23 - April 22*
*The program ends on April 22nd. Two additional weigh-in days are given at the end of the program and each monthly benchmark.
- Weekly weigh-ins (not required): Although not required, if you choose to weigh-in and submit your weight (which will be kept confidential)each week, you will be entered into the weekly raffle to win a $25 voucher to the AU Farmers Market. Follow the procedures above to log your weight through the Givhero app or online.
- Use your own scale or a scale at one of the campus weigh-in locations below. No verification is necessary.
- Main Campus: McCabe 227 (outside the door)
- WCL (Office of Student Affairs, Capital 107)
- Spring Valley Building (4th floor kitchen)
- 3201 New Mexico Avenue (Suite 350, Room 40)
- 4401 Connecticut Avenue (4th floor shower room)
- East Campus, Don Myers Building (Terrace Level Lobby, unisex restroom)
For reasonable accomodations to this program, please contact AhealthyU.
AhealthyU has created the time and space for you to connect with other Healthy Weight Program participants to share tips, challenges, and celebrate success together! We will hold informal check-ins throughout the program, which will serve to help you stay motivated and accountable to your goals.
All sessions will be held in from 12pm - 1pm in Mary Graydon Center, Room 200. Additional sessions at off-campus locations will be scheduled based on program participation.
- February 19th
- March 5th
- March 19th
- April 4th
Sign-up for an informal support check-in! Feel free to bring your lunch to these sessions. Light snacks will be provided.