After four months of active full-time employment, American University offers tuition remission for eligible employees, spouses and same-sex domestic partners at American University and Wesley Theological Seminary.
- Tuition for eligible courses taken at AU and Wesley Theological Seminary.
- A maximum of 8 credits per semester.
- A maximum of 20 credits per academic year.
What's Not Covered
- Some courses are not covered
(a list of ineligible programs is available on the myBenefits site).
- Application, exam, or matriculation fees.
- Course or lab fees.
- $50 administrative fee.
- Tuition on graduate level courses
Taxation can significantly reduce your take-home pay. Use the Symmetry® calculator to estimate your net (take-home) pay if you will be taking courses that are subject to taxation.*
*The Symmetry calculator is only meant to provide general guidance and estimates about the payroll process. It should not be relied upon to calculate exact taxes, payroll or other financial data. It may not match your American University results precisely and is not intended to provide tax or legal advice. You should consult with a professional advisor or accountant to address your specific concerns.
Education Benefits for Dependent Children
American University offers educational benefits for dependent children including:
- AU Dependent Tuition Scholarship - tuition remission for full-time regular or provisional enrollment in a degree program at American University or the Wesley Theological Seminary. Provisional status is only covered for 1 year; at the end of that year the child must be considered a full-time student in a degree program in order to continue the benefit.
- Tuition Exchange - tuition remission at another institution participating in the Tuition Exchange, Inc. scholarship program.
- Cash Grants available for dependent children of faculty and staff hired before July 1, 1995 and employed continuously since in a full-time position.
- Must be a full time faculty member or full time staff member, AND
- Have at least two years of continuous, full-time employment with the university as of September 30 for fall enrollment, or January 31 for spring enrollment.
- Will be enrolled as a full-time student in a program leading to a generally recognized degree at a University within the US;
- Initiated full-time study prior to his/her 21st birthday; and
- Claimed as a dependent on tax return.
Eligible full-time faculty and staff must submit the online application on the myAU portal each semester they plan on using AU’s tuition remission benefit.
To apply online:
- Visit the myAU portal
- Personalized Links
- Tuition Remission Application
The American University Tuition Scholarship is available for eligible dependent children who are enrolled full-time in a degree program at AU or Wesley Theological Seminary.
Submit your AY 2019-2010 application online through the myAU portal by June 1, 2019.