American University offers full-time faculty and staff a choice between two medical plans:
- CareFirst BlueChoice Advantage Plan
- PPO providers locally and nationally
- No requirement to designate a Primary Care Provider (PCP)
- New for 2017, CareFirst Video Visits the provide an alternative when your Primary Care Physician (PCP) is not available. You can securely connect with a doctor over your mobile device or computer who will provide consultation, diagnosis, and prescriptions (when appropriate) for uncomplicated, non-emergency health concerns for the cost of a PCP sick office visit.
- Kaiser Permanente - an HMO plan
- New for 2017, expanded coverage for Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) including Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA).
CareFirst BCBS medical plan participants have prescription drug coverage through Express Scripts and Kaiser medical plan participants have prescription drug coverage through Kaiser.
The university offers full-time faculty and staff a choice between two dental plans through Delta Dental:
- Comprehensive dental – covering all types of dental services
- Basic dental – covering preventive services and other limited services
In addition, discount dental benefits are available through the CareFirst and Kaiser medical plans.