You are here: American University Kogod School of Business Student Resources Advising Undergraduate Academic Advising FAQs

Undergraduate Academic Advising Frequently Asked Questions

Academic Advising is an important feature of Kogod, offering students individual advising sessions that are specific and goal oriented. Students can schedule an appointment online with an academic advisor and walk-in hours are regularly scheduled throughout the week.

Requirements & Options FAQs

Whether you're seeking information on declaring a major or the graduation application process, you'll find answers for many academic requirement questions in this FAQ listing.

Students who are pursuing the Business Administration (BSBA) major should follow these guidelines:

  • Are required to complete at least one specialization.
  • Can add additional specializations. View the specializations available to BSBA majors. If you have 12-15 credits of free electives available and you do not plan to complete an additional major/minor, then adding a second specialization should not impact your expected graduation date. You cannot have courses double-count between 2 specializations. Each specialization must include at least 12 credits independent of one another.
  • Can add a non-business major or minor outside of Kogod. View the available majors/minors. Determine the school or department through which the major/minor is offered and contact an advisor from that school or department to discuss the requirements and process for declaring the major/minor. Kogod advisors can only provide advising for business majors or business minors.
  • Can not have a business minor.
  • Can not have a second major or dual degree in business within Kogod.

Students pursuing a major in Accounting (BSA), Finance (BSF), Business, Language and Culture (BLC), or Business and Entertainment (BAE) should follow these guidelines:

  • Can add a business minor. View the available business minors and their requirements.
  • Can add a non-business major or minor outside of Kogod. View the available majors/minors. Determine the school or department through which the major/minor is offered and contact an advisor from that school or department to discuss the requirements and process for declaring the major/minor. Kogod advisors can only provide advising for business majors or business minors.
  • Can not have a specialization.
  • Can not have a second major or dual degree in business within Kogod.

To discuss your options further, please set up an appointment with an academic advisor.

A student with a double major would complete course requirements for both majors and must complete a total of 120 credits.

This student would receive only one degree. For example, a student with their first major in business with a finance specialization and a second major in economics would receive one degree: BS Business Administration with a specialization in finance. The transcript would show the second major, but this will not be listed on the degree.

A student with a dual degree would complete course requirements for both majors and must complete a total of 150 credits.

This student would receive two separate degrees and diplomas, one for each major.

Students who enter in Fall 2018 or later: Learn more about the AU Core

Students who entered prior to Fall 2018: Learn more about the General Education Program


Students who enter in Fall 2018 or later: A key component of the AU Core is that there are four integrated courses that are within your major. These courses are designated as:

  • Quantitative Literacy II
  • Writing & Information Literacy II
  • Diverse Experiences
  • Capstone

A member of the Kogod Advising Team can let you know which courses within your major meet these requirements.

Students who entered prior to Fall 2018

All business majors (BSBA, BLC, BAE, BSF, and BSA) must take ECON-100and ECON-200 to fulfill Area 4: SOCIAL INSTITUTIONS of the general education requirements. BLC students must also take ANTH-225 to fulfill the second-level of Area 1: THE CREATIVE ARTS in addition to ECON-100 and ECON-200. The following courses will not count as General Education credit for business majors:

ECON-110: No more than 2 classes with the same prefix (ex. ECON) can be taken for general education credit and business students are already required to take ECON-100 and ECON-200. ECON-110 can be taken to fulfill a Foreign Language/Cross-Cultural requirement or Free Elective.

FIN-200: This course is an Area 4 General Education Course and business students will already complete Area 4 with ECON-100 and ECON-200. This course can be taken to fulfill a Free Elective.

Do not take the following courses if you are a business major. You will not receive credit of any kind for these classes:

  • MKTG-250: Business students will take MKTG-300 instead of this course as part of the business core requirements. MKTG-250 is specifically for non-business majors only as outlined in the course description (but can be taken by students with a business minor.)

Log onto your portal, click Academics, and then click View Degree Audit Report. This report will show you which requirements you have completed, which are in progress, and which have not yet been started. If you find any discrepancies on your report, or if you have questions about your report, please contact an academic advisor.

There are two steps involved in the graduation application process. Both steps are required to complete the graduation application process.

Graduation Clearance: All students planning on graduating in the upcoming semester need to get cleared to graduate in order to register for the upcoming semester's courses. This will ensure that your graduation plan is on track. Fill out this form, print out your resume, and make an appointment with an advisor. If you have questions about your graduation clearance, contact the Kogod's academic advising team at or (202) 885-1914.

Graduation Application: Apply for graduation online through your portal during the semester that you plan to graduate. Students do not automatically graduate as soon as they earn 120 credits. Therefore, this step alerts AU's Record Services team that you are ready and intend to graduate in that semester. Announcements will be made when it is time to apply for graduation. Be sure to note the deadline as late applicants risk not having their names published in the commencement program. If you have questions about your online graduation application, please email or call (202) 885-2236.

There is only one commencement ceremony per year. December graduates are invited to participate in the spring commencement that takes place the following May.

August graduates who have 8 or fewer credits to take in the summer session and who have already fulfilled all university and general education requirements, may be eligible to participate in the spring commencement. For more information, refer to the announcements posted in the weekly BizUndergrad newsletter or contact the Kogod Advising team.

Summer graduates who do not meet these conditions must wait until the following spring ceremony.

View more information about graduation and commencement.

If you plan to study abroad for the summer, semester, or year, you must complete the following steps in addition to your AU Abroad application:

  • Review the requirements for Kogod students to study abroad.

  • Complete the Kogod Study Abroad Approval form. Then schedule an appointment with a member of the Kogod Advising Team to submit the completed form. Your abroad request will not be approved until this has been completed. Review the course offerings for the program you are considering prior to meeting with your advisor.

  • Send the electronic Authorization/Recommendation link from AU Abroad to your academic advisor for final approval. Reminder: You must complete step 2 before your Authorization/Recommendation will be approved.

  • Complete the Course Equivalency Form that is included in the Study Abroad Pre-Approval Form. This form should be completed and submitted to AU Abroad prior to departure. The Kogod Advising Team can only approve business courses for this form. All other courses must be approved from the academic department relevant to the course (a history course would have to be approved by the history department).

No. Once a student is fully admitted to American University, the Kogod School of Business will no longer accept credits for any course taken at another institution regardless of if the course is taken during the academic year or during the summer (unless taken through an approved study abroad program). Students may earn credit over the summer by taking courses on campus, taking online courses offered by AU, or by completing an internship for credit (internships can be completed from anywhere). If there is a course that you need to take over the summer in order to be on track for graduation, please speak with an academic advisor.

Learn more about summer courses, online courses, internships for credit, and summer programs offered abroad.

Students entering in Fall 2018 or later:

Business Statistics is required for all majors within the Kogod School of Business. The Bachelor of Science in Finance (BSF) has an additional requirement of Applied Calculus or Calculus I.

Students who entered prior to Fall 2018: Business Statistics and Applied Calculus (or Calculus I) are required for all majors within the Kogod School of Business.  

Academic & Grading Policy FAQs

These FAQs provide information on boosting your GPA and academic policies, such as academic probation and the Freshman Forgiveness rule.

Students must complete at least 15 credits, of which at least 12 credits must be taken for a letter grade of A-F, and must achieve a grade point average of 3.67 or higher. Students who receive an incomplete grade ("I") during the semester are not eligible to make the Dean's List.

Latin Honors are calculated and recorded on the transcript and diploma by the Office of the Registrar upon graduation. To be eligible for Latin Honors, students must complete in residence at least half of the required credit hours needed for a degree at American University (60 of the 120 earned credits) and must achieve the requisite cumulative GPA as indicated:

  • Summa Cum Laude: 3.91 or higher
  • Magna Cum Laude: 3.81 -3.90
  • Cum Laude: 3.67 -3.80

The Academic Support Center offers the following services for all students:

  • Supplemental Instruction is available every Fall and Spring semester for ECON-100, ECON-200, MATH-211, STAT-202, ACCT-240 and ACCT-241. Supplemental Instruction (SI) is like a group study session that is led by a student who has successfully completed the course and attends lectures once a week to be familiar with the material. SI leaders then facilitate weekly study sessions using the concepts covered in class. Students do not need to register to attend and may attend as little or as often as they like. This service is free. Visit the Academic Support Center's website for the SI schedule.

  • Individual Tutoring is available for nearly every subject. Students can submit a tutor request form found on the Academic Support Center's website to be matched with an individual tutor. Fees may apply. Writing Lab is available to all students who would like help brain-storming topics, organizing papers, writing a thesis statement, or who have other questions about improving any written assignment. This service is free.

  • Writing Lab is available to all students who would like help brain-storming topics, organizing papers, writing a thesis statement, or who have other questions about improving any written assignment. This service is free.
  • Academic Skills Workshops are available to all students and cover topics such as Time Management, Effective Reading, Note-taking Skills, Test-Preparation, Overcoming Procrastination, Writing, and more. This service is free.

Other resources include:

  • Writing Center is a second resource for students seeking assistance with their writing skills.

  • Kogod's Center for Business Communications is a resource available to Kogod students who would like to polish their business writing, public speaking, and team presentations.

  • Math Lab is available for students needing assistance with math through calculus and basic statistics.

  • Office Hours are made available to students by every professor. Students have discovered it is helpful to meet with their instructors to discuss upcoming assignments, review quizzes/exams, inquire about extra credit opportunities, or clarify material presented in class. Contact your professor if your schedule conflicts with their office hours to establish an alternative time to meet.

Students may select the pass/fail option for no more than four courses after admission to the university. In any given semester, students may select the pass/fail option in only one course. Only elective courses may be taken pass/fail, and thus students must take for a letter grade courses in a major, in a minor, General Education or AU Core, and in courses that are taken to satisfy the College Writing or University Mathematics requirement. Those courses that can only be taken pass/fail are exceptions to the preceding rule and such courses are not included in the aforementioned four course maximum.

A grade of Pass indicates performance of no less than a 2.00 on a conventional grading scale. Pass/Fail grades are not calculated in the GPA. However, if a student earns an F for a class taken P/F, then the F will remain on the transcript, and the student will not receive credit for the course.

Any course taken at AU which is not a Free Elective credit must be passed with a C or higher. 

Degree students, during the first two semesters of full-time undergraduate study, may request Freshman Forgiveness for any two courses that have resulted in a grade of C- or lower. Part-time degree students may request Freshman Forgiveness during the first 30 credit hours of study. Students must repeat such courses within the next calendar year or at the first possible opportunity. Only the second grade is computed in the cumulative average GPA, but both courses remain on the transcript. Students may not request Freshman Forgiveness for a course, if they received a sanction of a grade of F for that course due to a violation of the Academic Integrity Code.

Full-time, part-time, and Washington Mentorship students are eligible to apply for Freshman Forgiveness. Transfer and non-degree students may not claim Freshman Forgiveness. Certain classes may not be repeated for Freshman Forgiveness. Students should check with an academic advisor to determine which courses are not eligible for Freshman Forgiveness.

If a student receives below a C in a course required for their major and minor, then they must repeat the course.

Students have a maximum of three attempts to pass a course. Withdrawals count as an attempt. Grades for each attempt are computed in the overall cumulative GPA, but only the highest grade and the credit associated with that grade counts toward the major or minor GPA requirements. All courses that need to be repeated MUST be taken at American University.

Before repeating a course, students should submit a "memo of success" to a member of the Kogod Advising Team outlining why they were not successful in the course and what they specifically plan to do differently when repeating the course. Students should include any resources they intend to use when repeating the course (academic support center services, writing center, math/stats lab, office hours, etc.).

At their discretion and before the end of the semester, professors may give an Incomplete status for a grade when extenuating circumstances prevent a student, who is otherwise passing a course, from completing it during the semester. Students must have completed at least 50% of their course work and must currently be passing the class in order to be eligible for an Incomplete. Students on academic probation may not receive an Incomplete.

Instructors must identify in writing the conditions for satisfying the Incomplete. Those conditions must include what work needs to be completed, when the work must be completed, and what the course grade will be if students fail to complete that work. Academic regulations stipulate that the work be completed no later than the last day of the following semester, however the instructor can specify a due date that is sooner. Instructors will submit the grade of "I" and the aforementioned conditions to the Office of the Registrar when submitting all other final grades for the course. If students do not meet the conditions, the Office of the Registrar will assign the default grade automatically.

Incomplete courses may not be retroactively dropped. An Incomplete may not stand as a permanent grade and must be resolved before a degree can be awarded.

If a student's cumulative GPA drops below a 2.0, then they will receive a letter indicating that they will be placed on academic probation. The letter will specify the terms of their probation which must be met by the end of the semester. If a student does not meet the required probation terms, then they will be subject to academic dismissal.

Students are allowed to take a temporary leave for up to one year if they are in good standing and intend to return to AU. When on a temporary leave, the student remains an admitted student but may not take classes at any other institution while on leave. Students on temporary leave do not need to reapply to Admissions upon return, but will need to obtain the necessary registration clearance. Students considering a temporary leave should meet with a member of the Kogod Advising Team before the add/drop deadline to avoid financial/academic penalties. In addition, students should meet with a member of the Kogod Advising Team if they need to take a military leave. For more information about temporary leave, refer to the academic regulations.

Students who no longer wish to take courses at AU must complete a Voluntary Withdrawal form before they leave campus and must reapply to the University for admission as a transfer student if they later decide to return to AU. Students who need to withdraw from AU should meet with an academic advisor to complete the process.

You must either resolve your financial hold (pay your bill or establish payment options through AU Central) or meet with an academic advisor to withdraw from your classes. Your courses are not automatically dropped if you are financially dismissed. If you do not withdraw from your classes and have not paid your bill, then you will fail your courses.


You can request an official transcript via the portal. Your request is processed by AU Central.

A certification is an official document that verifies the student's academic standing, attendance dates, degrees awarded, and anticipated graduation date.

You may need an enrollment certification to verify your academic standing for another institution, loan deferments, DC parking permits, employment, or insurance companies.

Requests for these types of letters are processed through AU Central. Please visit the AU Central website for more details.

Course Registration FAQs

You'll find questions on registration, waitlists and add/drop in this section.

Please review both of the possible solutions before contacting an academic advisor:

Solution 1: Check your registration date by going to your portal, clicking "course registration" and then clicking "registration dates." Review the number of credits you have completed in the Overall Current Earned section of your Degree Audit Report. Note that the credits you are currently registered for do not count as completed credits. Only courses for which you have received a grade, transferred from another institution, and received from exams (AP, IB, CLEP, A Levels) are considered completed credits.

Solution 2: You may have a stop on your account. Check your portal, a message should appear after you login if there is a stop. If you do, please contact for financial concerns, or to resolve academic holds email

Check the prerequisites for the course. Also check the section number. If the section number has an "H" after it that means that section is reserved for students enrolled in the Honors program and you may not be eligible to register for that section. If the section has "UC" after it, this section is available only to students accepted into the University College program. Sections with a "T" after it are available only to students accepted into the Washington Mentorship program. If these are not the reasons, then contact an academic advisor for assistance.

You will receive an email from the Registrar when you become the next person on the waitlist eligible to register. When you receive the email, register for the course as you would any other course. There is a deadline so make sure to register for the course by the time indicated in your email. Waitlist emails are sent every day, including weekends and holidays, so check your email every day so that you do not miss your opportunity. If you do not register by the deadline in your email, then no one, not even an academic advisor, can register you for the course. You will have to add yourself to the waitlist again.

Refer to the academic calendar through your portal to view the deadline date for "Last day to add a course or change a grade option/Last day to drop a course for a 100% and without a 'W' recorded." If you drop a course after this date, then you will not be entitled to a full refund and you will receive a "W" on your transcript for "Withdraw." If you are planning to attend graduate school then having too many "W's" on your transcript may not look good. However having one or two "W's" is not generally problematic.

Note: There are additional deadlines to receive a 50% refund, 25% refund, or no refund. After the "Last day to drop a class (mid-term)", you can no longer withdraw from a course at all.

Please be sure to check the academic calendar for the various add/drop dates.

Students taking more than 17 credits will be charged an additional fee for each credit hour beyond 17 credits. Students with a strong academic record may seek approval from an academic advisor to take an overload. Note that this option is not available to incoming freshman or transfer students during their first semester at AU. If you would like to take an overload to "catch up" then you should review your academic plan with an academic advisor first to determine whether or not this option is beneficial in terms of money or time.