You are here: American University Kogod School of Business Student Resources Career International Student Resources

International Student Resources

Prior to starting an internship or job search, work with AU's International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) office to ensure that your work conforms to U.S. immigration requirements, so that you can make the best use of your OPT and CPT options.

Finding internships and full-time work as an international student requires significant effort, particularly during difficult economic times. It is extremely important to realistically assess your skills and abilities, then match them to the qualifications of positions you are interested in. You also must highlight the skills that give you an advantage as an international student (e.g., your ability with languages, cultural proficiency, and ability to adapt quickly).

There are some employers, such as offices of the U.S. government, who will not hire international students. We strongly recommend focusing on employers who have previously hired international students, as well as the employers who match your unique niche (e.g., those employers from your home country who have offices in the U.S. or are expanding their U.S. operations, or U.S. employers who have offices in your home country). It is very important that you have a strategy that includes a backup plan in your home country or other countries where you are authorized to work. Your Career Advisor can help you determine how long you should focus on a U.S. search and when you need to switch to your backup plan.

Identifying International Employers in the US

Going Global, a tool available in CareerSource, has a complete list of employers that submitted H-1B petitions last year, including the number of petitions submitted, the types of jobs, and the salaries paid for these positions.

Firms From Your Home Country that Have Offices in the US

  • Many companies from your home country are likely to have offices in the U.S. For a listing of those businesses, check your local embassy website.
  • The AU Library has an online database, Foreign Firms Operating in the United States, that enables you to search by country.

U.S. Firms With Offices in Your Home Country

  • If you are seeking US employers with offices in your home country, consider starting with larger employers like Accenture, Ernst and Young, Unilever, IBM, and similar, as these companies are established globally.
  • The AU Library has an online database, American Firms Operating in Foreign Countries, which enables you to search by country.

H-1B Visa Sponsorship

H-1B visa sponsorship is required for any foreign national who wishes to work in the United States beyond the requirements of their student visa. While there are other types of visas, this is the most common type of sponsorship.

  • There is a limited number of H-1B visas issued each year.
  • Most any employer can offer you H-1B sponsorship. However, many will resist it because it is either perceived as too expensive, or they simply do not know what steps they need to take to do it.
  • To learn more about visas and work authorization in the U.S., visit the ISSS website.


Office of Career Engagement

Monday through Friday,
9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Evening Hours by Appointment,
Monday through Thursday

Drop In Advising with a Peer Consultant:
Monday through Friday
from 1 to 4 p.m.

Meet an Advisor

Career advisors can help you improve your resume and develop a job search strategy.

Schedule a time