For more than 20 years, the Library has partnered with the AU community to provide selected food items for those in need, while giving Library users a break on fines. This year, we are again collaborating with The Market, AU’s food pantry.
Located on the lower level of the Letts Hall, The Market is student-operated and a Capital Area Food Bank “Pantry Partner.” Under the management of the Office of the Vice President of Campus Life and the Center for Community Engagement, the pantry is a direct response to the recent rise in food insecurity at college campuses nationwide. By partnering with the Market, the Library hopes to continue serving those in need right here on our campus.
This year Food for Fines will take place from November 22nd to December 23rd. You can reduce your AU Library fines by as much as $20.00 by donating food items. The Food for Fines offer does not extend to other consortium libraries.
Gluten-free, low-sodium, vegan, and other dietary considerations are always welcome. Please ensure all donated items are unopened and unexpired.
Even if you don't have fines please consider donating a canned good to support The Market!
Donations should be dropped off at the Circulation and Course Reserves Desk located on the first level of the Library. Please check the desk hours before visiting.
Earn $1.00 off fines for:
- Canned chili, 8oz or larger
- Mac & cheese, individual servings
- Paper towels, per roll
- Pasta, vegan and non-vegan
- Seasonings, 1oz or larger
- Toiletry items, such as toothpaste, deodorant, mouthwash, etc.
Earn $2.00 off fines for:
- Tea, per box
Earn $4.00 off fines for:
- Granola bars, 6ct or larger
- Laundry detergent, such as Tide pods, 32oz or larger
- Nut butters, such as almond, cashew, or peanut, 18oz or larger (no hydrogenated oils/trans fats)
- Seltzer water, flavored or unflavored, 6ct or larger
We will also accept (for $1.00/item):
- Canned vegetables, 8oz or larger (low sodium/no salt added)
- Canned/boxed soup, 8oz or larger
- Canned tuna or salmon, 6oz or larger
- Rice, 32oz bag or larger
- Canned/boxed tomatoes or sauce, 8oz or larger
- Soy milk or almond milk, 8oz or larger (shelf-stable/unrefrigerated)