For more than twenty years, the Library has partnered with the AU community to provide selected food items for those in need, while giving Library users a break on fines. This year, we are again collaborating with The Market, AU’s food pantry.
Located on the lower level of the Letts Hall, The Market is student-operated and a Capital Area Food Bank “Pantry Partner.” Under the management of the Office of the Vice President of Campus Life and the Center for Community Engagement, the pantry is in direct response to the recent rise in food insecurity at college campuses nationwide. By partnering with the Market, the Library hopes to continue serving those in need right here on our campus.
This year Food for Fines will take place from November 12th to December 16th. You can reduce your AU Library fines by as much as $20.00 by donating food items.
Donations should be dropped off at the Circulation and Course Reserves Desk located on the first level of the Library. Library patrons who do not have fines can still make donations. The Food for Fines offer does not extend to other consortium libraries.
Earn $1.00 off fines for:
- Canned vegetables (low sodium, no salt added) 8oz or larger
- Canned black beans, lentils, chili 8oz or larger
- Canned/boxed soup 8oz or larger
- Canned tuna or salmon 6oz or larger
- Rice 32 oz bag or larger
- Boxed mac and cheese, 7.25 oz or larger
- Boxed pasta
- Canned/boxed tomatoes, tomato sauce
- Soy milk, almond milk (boxed non-refrigerated), 8oz or larger
Earn $4.00 off fines for:
- Granola or cereal bars, 6ct or larger
- Single-serving healthy snacks, 8ct or larger
- Peanut butter (no hydrogenated oils/trans fats), almond butter, sunflower seed butter, 18oz or larger