On-site Viewing Rooms within the Library
Media Viewing Area
8 stations for individual viewing of the Media Services collection:2 multi region dvd players, 6 DVD/Blu-ray players. Media Services also has equipment available for using laserdiscs, audio cassettes, LPs, HD-DVDs, and multi region VHS.
Library Screening Room
Seats 35 people. This is the primary group screening room in Media Services. It contains a video projector connected to an all region Blu-ray DVD player and vcr. Blu-ray players will play regular DVD discs. The projector can also be linked to a laptop for computer based presentations. A laptop can be connected with the available HMDI cable, VGA cable or wirelessly with the AirMedia app. The projector displays a high quality image of approximately 5 feet by 8 feet. The room is also equipped with amplified speakers. AU faculty may reserve the media classroom for instruction which utilizes the Library media collection. A faculty member or designated representative must be present while the classroom is being used. The Media Classroom is available to campus groups for non-Media Services use through 25Live scheduling requests.
Viewing Room B54
Seats 15 people. Contains a large 62" LCD television, all region Blu-ray DVD player and vcr. This room may be reserved by AU faculty for instruction which utilizes the Library media collection. This room is commonly reserved for group viewings outside of regular class time. This room may be used for group study on a walk-in basis. Priority use is always for groups viewing Media Services materials.
Viewing Room B55
Seats 8 people. Similar setup to Room B54 with a large 62" LCD TV. This room may be reserved by AU faculty for instruction which utilizes the Library media collection. This room is commonly reserved for group viewings outside of regular class time. This room may be used for group study on a walk-in basis. Priority use is always for groups viewing Media Services materials.
AU faculty may request a viewing room by calling the Media Services Desk (x3250) or by completing the online media scheduling form.
Tips for Media Searching
Searching for Videos and Sound Recordings
All Media Services items are cataloged in the library online catalog. You can search the standard catalog interface. Using the standard catalog interface or using Summon, searches the holdings of all nine WRLC libraries.
Media Search Interface
The Media Search feature gives you quick access to the collections in Media Services and the Music Library. Instead of searching the entire catalog, your search will automatically be restricted to these locations. After you do an initial search you will be taken to the regular catalog search screen. Limits will be in effect, so you can continue to search just Media Services holdings. If you then want to search the entire consortium, just click "clear limits".
Limit Your Catalog Search to Videos
You can restrict your catalog search to just media items by searching keyword= "your search terms" AND "videorecording". All media items (DVDs, VHS, Blu-ray, HD-DVD) are cataloged as "videorecording".
Limit Your Catalog Search to AU Media Services Only
You can restrict your search to AU Media Services items by searching keyword= "your search terms" AND "eaun". *eaun is the catalog codes for AU Media Services.
Tips for Title Searching
- Omit inital articles (A, The, Le, L').
- correct - Godfather, incorrect - The Godfather
- correct - Atalante, incorrect - L'Atalante
- Foreign films can be searched by the original title or by the English translation.
- either Fresa y chocolate or Strawberry and chocolate
- Foreign film titles are commonly translated several different ways, or may be released in different countries under different titles. If in doubt, use the original title.
- either Ladri de biciclette or Bicycle thieves or Bicycle thief, not The Bicycle thief
- At least the first few words of the title must be spelled out correctly. Search terms may be truncated. Searches must be exact. The catalog makes no provisions for a "close" search. You must spell titles correctly.
Useful Keywords When Searching for Videos
- "videorecording": restricts to VHS, DVDs, laserdiscs, 16 mm film, etc.
- "dvd": restricts to DVDs (standard, Blu-Ray, HD) only
- "eaun": restricts to AU Library, Media Services
- "streaming video": restricts to videos viewable online
- "home use": restricts to Home Use Collection items
- "feature films": restricts to theatrical release "movies"
- "in Spanish with English subtitles": restricts to Spanish language videos
Searching by Author
This searches the catalog field - Other Authors/Contributors. In the case of media, it will bring up directors, actors and notable individuals added to this field. However, it will not bring up entries from the Performers field. Author searching does not limit the search specifically to media. If you did the Author search - "Scorsese, Martin" you would get the films he directed, the films he acted in, but also the book, Scorsese on Scorsese. For these reasons it is better to search for people using a keyword search.