For more than fifteen years, the Library has partnered with the AU community to provide canned and other food for those in need, while giving you a break on your library fines. This year we are partnering with Capital Area Food Bank's Back Pack Program.
As Capital Area Food Bank explains on their website: "The Capital Area Food Bank is the hub for food sourcing, food distribution and nutrition education in the Washington metro area, serving those struggling with hunger. In Washington, DC and its six surrounding counties, there are nearly 700,000 individuals at risk of hunger, of which nearly 150,000 are children."
You can pay up to $20.00 of your AU fines with donated food. The Food for Fines offer does not extend to other consortium libraries. Food for Fines ends on Monday, December 23, so take advantage of this opportunity while you *ahem* can.
As you select your donation, please consider the healthfulness of the food items. The items that you donate through Food for Fines help to provide vital nutrition for a food insecure population in the DC area. The families and individuals who receive assistance from CAFB rely on them for healthy, nutritious ingredients and meals.
The list below details what food items will be accepted for this program, and please note that the Capitol Area Food Bank has specifically requested low sodium items. You may also request a copy of this list in-person at our Borrowing Desk or by contacting the Borrowing Desk by email, firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone 202-885-3221.
Food for Fines items accepted in 2014:
- Canned fruits (without corn syrup)—8oz or larger 1 can = $1.00 off fines
- Canned vegetables—8oz or larger 1 can = $1.00 off fines
- Canned beans (black or kidney)—8oz or larger 1 can = $1.00 off fines
- Soup (especially chicken noodle or tomato)—8oz or larger 1 can = $1.00 off fines
- Canned tuna—6oz or larger 1 can = $1.00 off fines
- Canned chicken—6oz or larger 1 can = $1.00 off fines
- Boxed rice dishes—1 box 7 oz or larger = $1.00 off fines
- Plain rice—1 bag 32 oz or larger $1.00 off fines
- Boxed mac and cheese—1 box 7.25 oz or larger = $1.00 off fines
- Granola or cereal bars—1 box 6ct or more = 4.00 off fines
- Single Serving Snacks—1 box 8ct or more = $4.00 off fines
- Peanut butter (no hydrogenated oils/trans fats)—1 jar 18oz or larger = $4.00 off fines