Each year, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions selects incoming multicultural and/or first-generation students to participate in AU's Summer Transition Enrichment Program (STEP). This influential introduction to the AU community takes place for seven weeks during the summer and involves 40-50 enrolled students. Along with attending Eagle Summit (AU's new student orientation), participants take classes (one can earn up to four credits towards graduation, in consultation with their academic advisor) and attend seminars that prepare you for first-year courses.
Quick facts about STEP:
- Participants are selected for STEP by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Any questions about reasons for admission should be directed to them (email@example.com).
- The programs covers tuition for summer classes, textbooks, housing, most meals, registration for Eagle Summit, access to university facilities, and tutoring support. Travel expenses to and from DC are not included.
- Students are required to live in the university-designated residence hall during the entire program. Weekend home visits and travel are allowed.
- Once STEP ends, you will have a three-week break between the end of the program and the beginning of classes on Monday, August 31. Welcome Week for new students begins on campus on Saturday, August 22 and is a great time to meet other first-year students outside of the program.
- Before you come to campus for STEP, you should submit the following: Health insurance and immunization forms to the Student Health Center and the housing and enrollment deposit to Housing and Dining Programs.
- Students should not plan to work during STEP, as the rigorous demands of coursework, seminars, and city exploration often conflict with work hours.
Recent Correspondence sent to student participants about STEP:
View the STEP brochure included in the admissions packet.
Have more questions about STEP? Please visit our "Frequently Asked Questions" page or contact us directly via phone at 202-885-3651 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.