Connect with resources regarding sexual and reproductive health! Please know that on campus, the Health Promotion and Advocacy Center (HPAC)is a fantastic, accessible resource for AU students on campus. The OASIS: Confidential Victim Advocacy is an additional resource for students!
Contraception and Abortion Resources
- Contraceptive Effectiveness Tool - This chart outlines various contraception methods and compares them to show which are most effective!
- How Well Does your Birth Control Work? - A helpful inforgraphic that shows the effectiveness of different forms of contraception and. how long these different forms last.
- DC Abortion Fund - Resources on securing funding for abortion services in the DC-Metro Area.
- The National Network of Abortion Funds - Resources to locate financial assistance in the U.S and Mexico.
- Planned Parenthood Abortion Info - Learn more about various types of abortion services.
- Birth Control Tool - A useful site for finding potential options for birth control based on price, effectiveness, ease of use, amount of hormones, and more!
- National Abortion Federation - Resources for you or a love one who is facing an unplanned pregnancy.
- Healthcare Providers
- carafem – Offers abortion care for up to 13 weeks, birth control counseling, STI testing, and TelAbortion.
- Planned Parenthood Carol Whitehill Moses Center – Offers a variety of services including abortion services up to 19 weeks and 6 days and can refer people past 20+ weeks.
- Washington Surgi-Clinic - Offers gynecological services as well as abortion services up to 27+ weeks.
- Capital Women’s Services - Offers gynecological care and abortion services up to 36 weeks.
- Yes, No, Maybe So: A Sexual Inventory Stocklist - This tool can be used by you or your partner(s) to better understand your wants and needs as well as how to communicate those.
- The Sexual Response Cycle - Learn more about the physiological changes the body undergoes during sex.
- Sex Toys 101 - Resources and information on different sex toys.
- Sex Gets Real - A weekly podcast dedicated to helping you deepen your curiosity around sex, relationships, bodies, and life.
- Sex With Emily - A podcast by Emily Morse, Doctor of Human Sexuality, sex, and relationship expert on sex, dating, and relationship advice.
- "What Young Women Believe About Their Own Sexual Pleasure" - A TED Talk that interrogates some of the earliest messages that women and people socialized as women receive about sex and pleasure by Peggy Orenstein
Internalized Oppression Resources
- Sexperts Debunk Myths We Grew Up With - Diosa and Mala of Locatora Radio debunk myths about sex that are prevalent in Latinx cultures.
- Us Helping Us - Works tirelessly to achieve health equity for underserved and marginalized populations in the greater Washington, DC area.
- Queer Sex Ed. - A project and podcast that aims to share personal stories of sexual health, sex positivity, and everyday queer sexual life to normalize authentic conversations about sex, pleasure, boundaries, health, and communication.
- Inner Hoe Uprising – A smart & funny podcast about sex, love, and dating from four black feminist 20 somethings living in NYC.
- Locatora Radio - A podcast by two Latina femmes who celebrate the work and brilliance of womxn of color while also discussing the importance of identity and sexuality.
- POC and Queer Sex Educators on Instagram
- Mental Health Provider Locator Websites
- Trans Lifeline: 877-565-8860
- GLBT National Hotline: 888-843-4564
National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs: 212-714-1141 (English and Spanish)
- GLBT National Youth Talkline: 800-246-7743
- DeHQ: LGBTQ Helpline for South Asians: 908-367-3374
- The Way We Think About Biological Sex Is Wrong – Emily Quinn Ted Talk
- Emily speaks to her intersex identity and outlines the structural issues with how biological sex is constructed around a binary.
- Sex as a Spectrum - Learn more about the science behind visualizing sex as a spectrum.
- Sex Explained (Netflix) - A documentary series narrated by Janelle Monáe that goes into a number of topics relating to sex including anatomy and reproductive systems.
- Visible Body - This site has numerous anatomy lessons and interactive 3D models for you to explore and learn more about human anatomy.
- Duvet Days - A virtual gallery of artist depictions of anatomy as a form of empowerment.
- Planned Parenthood STDs - A useful guide to understanding STDs and having conversations about STDs.
- American Sexual Health Association - Provide a nice FAQ and other resources on STIs.
- 12 Preventable STDs: Pictures, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
- Free and Low Cost Testing
Consent, Relationships, and Violence Resources
- RAINN - They have a number of resources, including the National Sexual Assault Hotline and live chat 800-656-HOPE, that are free, confidential, and available 24/7.
- Identity Abuse as a Tactic of Violence in LGBTQ Communities: Initial Validation of the Identity Abuse Measure - An academic journal on discussing inter-personal violence and domestic violence in the LGBTQ community.
- Queer Couples Talk About Consent (video)
- National Sexual Violence Resource Center - A comprehensive list of statistics on relationship and dating violence.
- Understanding Sexual Consent and the Law (video)
- CDC Sexual Violence Prevention - Statistics and fast facts on sexual violence and prevention.
- "6 Self-Care Tips for Sexual Assault Survivors" - An article by Corinne Werder.
- DC Rape Crisis Center - A 24 hour hotline that is free and confidential for survivors, friends, and families (202-333-RAPE).
- Washington Hospital Center, DC Forensic Nurse Examiners Program - A resource that has evidence collection services, support services, referrals, and follow up care (1-844-4HELPDC).
- What is A Healthy Relationship? - A resource meant to help you determine what is and what is not a healthy relationship.
- “How to Discuss Sexual Boundaries and Consent, According to a Sex Educator” - An article by Corrine Kai