STEP Frequently Asked Questions
Complete the STEP registration form. The STEP 2019 Registration form will be listed in the near future.
Each STEP student receives financial support to cover most costs during the seven weeks of the program. Covered costs include:
- tuition for summer classes (up to three credits after meeting with your academic advisor)
- housing (on-campus housing is mandatory for all participants, visit the Housing, Dining, & Transportation section to learn more)
- meal plan (meal swipes and EagleBucks)
- registration fee for Eagle Summit Session II (parents and guests who wish to join must pay a fee to participate in Eagle Summit; visit Orientation, Transition and Retention for more information) the Pre-College Writing Seminar (mandatory for all participants, regardless of AP credit)
- on-campus tutoring and access to other campus academic support services workshops and university-sponsored extracurricular activities use of AU's academic, athletic, and recreational facilities
All requests must be submitted to the Center for Diversity & Inclusion via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (202-885-3651) by Monday, May 20, 2019.
Students will be provided with meals in the Terrace Dining Room (TDR) and EagleBucks for the seven weeks of the program. TDR is the main student dining facility on campus, and meal swipes can be used only there. EagleBucks is credit on the student's ID card, which can be used at various on-campus dining facilities, as well as at several off-campus dining vendors. Visit Dining Programs for more information on campus dining options.
STEP students participate in a community service project and a variety of activities, some of which they develop and implement themselves. Past cohorts have staged talent showcases, visited DC landmarks (such as the Newseum and Capitol Hill), hosted a community dinner, and more. There will be occasional weekend and evening programs. We hope that the students will take advantage of these opportunities as they help to build a strong and supportive community that lasts well beyond the seven-week program.