You are here: Insurance Information

Referrals and Insurance

It is your responsibility to cover the costs for your private care, but most insurance plans have some form of benefit for inpatient, outpatient, or assessment services. Sometimes you pay nothing for your care, sometimes you pay part of the cost and your insurance company pays the rest. Sometimes your insurance company will pay different benefits if you see a "preferred" provider than if you see a provider who is not on their preferred list. Every plan is different, and it is up to you to determine what your coverage is. It is your responsibility to obtain the information you need and make decisions about your own insurance and finances.

If you have the AU Student Health Insurance Plan

Who is my insurance company?
If you have chosen to participate in the AU Student Health Insurance Plan, you are insured by UnitedHealthCare. All claims are managed and administered by UnitedHealthCare Claims Administrators.

Who is considered an in-network provider?
To learn more about your insurance plan and who is covered by this plan, please visit:

Will I have to pay a deductible?
To learn more about your insurance plan and deductibles, please visit:

How do I find an off-campus provider?
You have three options to find an in-network provider. 1) Visit United Health Care AU student resource website. 2) Call the Counseling Center or come to our Urgent Care Drop In Hours (M-F, 2-4pm). You can meet with a clinician during these hours who can provide information about referral resources both in and out of the preferred provider network. 3) Call the main number at the Counseling Center (202-885-3500) to schedule an Initial Consultation appointment. This last option can be used if you would like to meet with a clinician for a more in depth assessment of your mental health needs and assistance with the referral process.

Do I have to come to the Counseling Center before I can see a provider in the Community?
No. There is no insurance referral/paperwork requirement that necessitates obtaining a referral from the Counseling Center before you access your mental health benefits through UnitedHealthCare. If you would like assistance with finding a provider in the community however, you are welcome to speak with one of our clinicians during Drop-In Hours (M-F, 2-4pm), or make an Initial Consultation appointment to speak with a clinician.

How will I know what my mental health benefits are and whether my claims to UnitedHealthCare will be paid?
A referral to a provider from the Counseling Center does not guarantee that the private services you receive will be covered by your plan or that a claim for those services will be paid. You are responsible for reading your plan carefully and negotiating directly with your provider and with UnitedHealthCare about your coverage and claims for private services.

What if I want to see someone who does not accept our insurance?
To learn more, please visit:

How do I arrange for my mental health bills to be paid?
If your private provider is an In-Network Provider, they are required to submit your bill/claim directly to the insurance company. Simply show your provider your identification card and they will submit the claim for you. If your provider is an Out-of-Network Provider, it is up to your provider whether they will submit a claim or require that you do so. If your provider requires you to submit a claim, the claim form is available for you to download at Keep in mind that the cost of most visits is shared between you and the insurer--you will pay a part of the provider's fees and the insurer will pay a part. See your plan for details about your coverage.

I still have questions –who do I contact?
Please see below for contact information.

To find a list of mental health providers that are in network go to:

To ask questions about your coverage or claims, contact UnitedHealthCare Customer Service: 1-800-767-0700

For in network claims:
UnitedHealthcare StudentResources
P.O. 809025
Dallas, Texas 75380-9025

To ask questions about your student health insurance status:
Insurance Office, AU Student Health Center
(202) 885-3380

To express concerns about your off-campus care, or obtain a referral to another provider:
AU Counseling Center
Mary Graydon Center 214
(202) 885-3500 

If you have a non-AU Insurance Plan

A formal referral from the Counseling Center is generally not required to use mental health or assessment benefits from non-AU insurance plans. Your non-AU insurance plan may have their own referral requirements, however. If you already know you want private care, you can work directly with your insurance plan to locate a provider and arrange for benefits. Otherwise, you can make an appointment with a Counseling Center clinician to discuss your particular situation and obtain guidance with regard to locating an appropriate off-campus provider.

To make an appointment with a Counseling Center clinician contact:
AU Counseling Center
Mary Graydon Center 214
(202) 885-3500

To locate the names and contact information of your plan's preferred providers, contact your insurance plan.

For information about your benefits or a particular claim, contact your insurance plan.