You are here: American University Campus Life Counseling Worried About Someone

Worried About Someone

Consultation Meeting

If you are concerned about an AU student, this page will help you locate some good resources for support. You may be a a faculty or staff member, parent, friend, or roommate who is worried about a student in distress. These resources can help you recognize signs and causes of distress, and discuss how you can encourage a student to get help.

How to Help a Student in Distress

Helping a Student Get Help

Mental Health Resources and On-Line Information
Whether you are concerned for yourself or someone else, this collection of mental health resources covers a wide range of topics including depression, eating disorders, anxiety, medications, etc.

Consult with a CC Clinician
This will link you to a description of the consultation and outreach services available at the Counseling Center. To consult with a Counseling Center clinician, you are also encouraged to call the Center at 202-885-3500.

In Case of an Emergency
If you are concerned for a student's safety, contact 9-1-1 or contact the American University Police Department at (202) 885-3636. If a student has an urgent concern and would like to receive an assessment from a mental health clinician, the Counseling Center offers Urgent Care services M-F 2-4 PM. Students may also connect with national hotline resources.

Dean of Students
The Dean of Students is an excellent resource to call on when you encounter a multi-faceted problem, a problem with ramifications for the broader community, or difficulty determining the most appropriate way to get help for a student.