American University's Statement of Common Purpose says, "The central commitment of American University is to the development of thoughtful, responsible human beings in the context of a challenging yet supportive academic community." Survey data collected on campus indicates that students' alcohol and drug use can have a significant effect on their academic performance and on their living and learning environment.
Interventions that mitigate these negative effects and help students realize their academic potential are closely aligned with the university's achievement of its educational objectives and its mission.
The university is committed to maintaining a healthy and safe community through education and intervention efforts for alcohol and other drugs.
Questions about alcohol use or abuse? Concerned about a friend or relative? Just want more information? See the below resources.
Contact: Resource Phone Numbers and Links
- On Campus
- Emergencies (if calling on campus)
- (202) 885-3636
- Dean of Students
- Counseling Center
- Public Safety
- Student Health Center
- Off Campus
- Emergencies (if calling off campus)
- Sibley Hospital Emergency Room
- Suburban Hospital emergency Room
- (301) 896-3880
- The Addiction Treatment Center
- Alcoholics Anonymous
- National Institute on Drug Abuse Hotline
- National Cearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism