We look forward to welcoming you to join us for Family Weekend!
To protect the health and safety of our entire community we are requiring all Family Weekend guests to agree to and abide by the American University Health and Safety Directives and the District of Columbia public health and safety requirements.
All Family Weekend participants are required to wear masks indoors at all times (except while actively eating or drinking). Masks are also required while participating in outdoor activities involving groups of 25 or more. Masks must cover both the mouth and nose and are required regardless of vaccination status. Children under the age of 2 are exempted from this requirement.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement and Verification for Family Weekend Guests
After carefully reviewing the public health data, we have decided that attendees at all Family Weekend events must be fully vaccinated as defined by the CDC prior to attending the event. Please bring proof of vaccination with you and be prepared to produce it upon request.
If you are unable to be vaccinated due to a medical and/or religious exemption, you will still be able to attend the event but will be required to provide documentation of a negative PCR COVID-19 test completed no more than 72-hours prior to arriving onsite. This documentation will be required to enter the event.
Siblings and guests under the age of 12 who are not eligible to receive the vaccine must wear a mask at all times.
Guests are not Permitted in the Residence Halls
We understand that you want to visit your student’s room in the residence hall; however, we will not be permitting guests in the residence halls at this time.
Attestation for all Registered Guests
Registration for our in person events during Family Weekend requires all guests to attest that they will comply with our health and safety regulations, regardless of vaccination status:
I agree to comply with the following rules, regardless of vaccination status:
- I will comply with DC requirements regarding COVID-19 travel-related testing and quarantine.
- I will not participate if I knowingly have COVID-19 or am displaying symptoms that are consistent with a COVID-19 infection. I agree to isolate or quarantine at my current residence or hotel if I test positive, or am a close contact with someone who has tested positive, in the past ten days.
- If I am diagnosed with COVID-19 within 14 days after my participation, I will email firstname.lastname@example.org to notify the university of my status.
- I will cooperate with the University and government health officials as needed to assist in contact tracing efforts.
- I will wear a face-covering in all indoor spaces, consistent with the University’s Health and Safety Directive on Face Coverings. Face coverings are required while outdoors when in a group larger than 25 persons. Regardless, we strongly encourage all visitors to wear a mask at all times during their visit to AU.
- I will practice good hygiene and infection control precautions such as frequent and thorough hand washing, covering my coughs and sneezes, and staying home if I am sick.
- I will comply with all Health and Safety Directives issued by the University pursuant to the University’s Communicable Diseases Policy that may be issued and revised from time to time.
- I will comply with all American University posted signage regarding health & safety guidelines.