Skip to main content

Student Health Center

OCL Student Health Center readying injection


Frequently asked questions

Who is required to submit immunization information and what immunizations are required?
Any student under the age of 26 attending school in the District of Columbia is required to submit proof of the following vaccinations:

  • Two vaccinations against Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR), given after 1 year of age and at least 30 days apart
  • One Diphtheria/Tetanus booster given within the past ten years.
  • Two doses of Varicella (Chicken Pox) vaccine 60 days apart or titer results indicating immunity, OR physician documentation of having had the disease (including month and year of illness)
  • A series of three Hepatitis B immunizations administered over a 6 month period. The second dose should have been administered a minimum of 4 weeks after dose#1, and the third dose should have been administered a minimum of 16 weeks after dose #1 AND 8 weeks after dose#2. Students who received the Hepatitis B vaccination under a different administration schedule should provide titer results proving immunity
  • Meningococcal vaccine for students living in campus housing given on or after their 16th birthday, or a signed Waiver Request Form
  • Students under the age of 18 must also show proof of being vaccinated against polio

Does the University require an entrance physical?
No, American University does not require a physical for newly admitted students.

What additional vaccines are recommended?

The Student Health Center recommends that all students (both female and male) receive the Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) vaccination.

The Student Health Center also recommends that resident students, students who will be volunteering in the community, or students who have traveled abroad receive a TB test prior to coming to American University.

If a student received their Meningococcal vaccine prior to age 16, the university recommends that the student receive a booster dose of the vaccine.

If I am in the process of completing any of the vaccines that require multiple doses, will I be permitted to register for classes?
Yes. As long as you are in the process of completing the immunization requirements you will be able to register for classes. However, a stop will be put on your account if you do not complete the immunization series.

If I have my own copy of immunization records, is it still necessary to complete the Mandatory Immunization form?
No, you may submit your records via one of the following:

fax:  202-885-1222
upload: click under "online immunization form"

Is the Meningococcal (Meningitis) vaccine required?
The Meningococcal vaccine is required for all first year students living in university sponsored housing. If you do not wish to be vaccinated against meningitis you must sign a waiver stating that you are aware of the risks of meningitis.

What can I do if I cannot access my prior immunization records?
If you do not have access to your prior immunization records, you will need to have a blood test called a blood titer. A blood titer will show if you have either had the disease in the past, or have immunity based on prior vaccination. With some immunizations, however, a titer is not available and you may need to simply receive a booster vaccine.

I did not have the varicella (chicken pox) vaccination because I contracted the chicken pox. What do I need to do?
If you did not have the varicella (chicken pox) vaccination, but had the disease, you will need to provide physician documentation of disease (including month and year of disease). Otherwise, you will need to obtain a blood titer results for varicella (chicken pox).

Are all of the required immunizations available at the Student Health Center?
Yes, all of the required immunizations can be administered at the Student Health Center. Please refer to our fee schedule for the costs of each immunization.

What do I need to do if I wish to be exempted from receiving immunizations due to my medical history or religious beliefs?
You can be granted an exemption from the mandatory immunization requirement due to medical reasons or your religious beliefs. To be granted an exemption:

Religious exemption is allowed if the responsible person objects in good faith and in writing that the immunizations violate
his/her religious beliefs. The letter should be addressed to the President of American University as the head of the institution.

Medical exemption is allowed if a physician provides a detailed letter indicating that immunizations are medically inadvisable.