The student health insurance waiver process for Spring 2020 is currently available to incoming Spring 2020 students and students transitioning from part-time to full-time in Spring 2020. If you fall into one of those categories and would like to request a waiver, please review the waiver instructions and then submit your request at https://www.carefirst.com/au/
The deadline to submit a Spring 2020 waiver request is February 14, 2020. Waiver requests will not be accepted after that date.
- All full-time students, residential students, and students on F1 and J1 visas at AU must have insurance that provides comprehensive coverage in Washington, DC. If you're in a required category, you will be enrolled automatically in AU's student health insurance plan. This premium is charged to your student account.
- If you have another insurance plan that provides comprehensive coverage in Washington DC, you may request a waiver and, if approved, the charge (e.g. the health insurance premium) will be removed from your student account within 7 business days.
- You must request a health insurance waiver every year that you are required to have health insurance.
- To submit the Spring 2020 waiver request, please visit https://www.carefirst.com/au and follow these instructions.
- After you submit your waiver request, it will be reviewed and a decision made within 5 business days. Please be aware that approval is not automatic and notification of the decision does not come by email. To find out if your waiver has been granted or not, you must go back to carefirst.com/au and check the results.
- If you were a full-time student in Fall 2019, the deadline for requesting a waiver was September 20, 2019.
- Do you still have questions? Do you find that aspects of the process are difficult or unclear? Please read through these Frequently Asked Questions. You will find many answers there — along with contact information for customer support, waiver appeals, and more information to help you out.