The student health insurance waiver process is currently available. To submit your waiver visit https://www.carefirst.com/au/
The deadline to submit a waiver is September 20, 2019.
All AU students must have comprehensive health insurance if they are in specific categories, including full-time students, residential students, and students on F1 and J1 visas. If you have health insurance under another insurance plan that provides comprehensive coverage in Washington DC, you may file for and receive a waiver prior to the deadline.
Health insurance waivers are required every year that you are in a required category for health insurance.
- If you fall into one of the required categories (such as full-time students, residential student, and international students with F1 and J1 visas), you are enrolled automatically in AU's student health insurance plan and the premium is charged to your student account.
- This health insurance premium will be removed from your account if you file for and receive a waiver. To waive AU's student health insurance plan, you must have comparable coverage that meets our criteria.
- Please remember that to opt out of AU health coverage, you must request and receive a waiver before the September 20, 2019 deadline.
- To submit the waiver request, visit https://www.carefirst.com/au and follow the instructions.
- Once submitted, your waiver request will be reviewed. Please allow up to 5 business days for a waiver decision to be made. if approved, please allow 7 business days for the fee to be removed from your student account.
- Do you still have questions? Do you find that aspects of the process are difficult or unclear? Please read through these Frequently Asked Questions. You will find many answers there — along with contact information for customer support, waiver appeals, and more information to help you out.