November 8, 2021
Dear AU Students,
As you make plans to spend holiday time with family and friends, it’s important to know how to keep yourself, your family, and your community safe and healthy. Here are the guidelines for upcoming holiday travel.
Before leaving campus:
- Get a COVID-19 test 1-3 days before you depart.
- Remember: Anyone who tests positive for COVID-19 must isolate, as defined by the CDC, and cannot travel!
- Wear a mask on planes, buses, trains, and other forms of public transportation.
- Follow all state, local, or international recommendations and requirements, including mask wearing and social distancing.
- Wear a mask in crowded outdoor settings and if you’re in the company of others who are not fully vaccinated.
- Celebrate outdoors if possible.
- If indoors, open windows to increase ventilation.
- If you have any symptoms of COVID, stay home and ask the same of others!
After returning to campus:
- If you are vaccinated: get tested 3-5 days after your return.
- If you are NOT vaccinated: If you traveled outside of the DC, Maryland or Virginia area, you must quarantine for 7 days upon your return. While quarantining, you will only be able to leave your residence to get necessities or attend medical appointments. You must also take a test 3-5 days after returning. Students with exemptions will receive an additional communication shortly with important information on additional requirements.
As always, a person who tests positive cannot travel and must isolate. If you live on campus and test positive, you must move to campus isolation housing. Any member of the community who is positive for COVID-19 cannot come to campus or travel until the isolation period ends.
AU travel guidelines follow the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Thank you for doing your part, and for your helping AU be a community of care. Have a safe and healthy holiday!
Vice President of Undergraduate Enrollment, Campus Life & Inclusive Excellence