The Best Nest Contest welcomes students to show off their creative and unique room designs by submitting photos of their space for a chance to win our Best Nest and AU Spirit categories. Additionally, students can highlight their space by entering our People’s Choice category and encouraging friends and family to vote for them.
- Submission deadline: Wednesday, November 13 by noon.
- Winners announced for Best Nest & AU Spirit categories: Friday, November 15.
- Online voting for “People’s Choice” category: November 18 - November 19, voting ends at 5 P.M.
- People's Choice winners announced: Wednesday, November 20.
How To Enter
- Decorate and set up your room with your roommate(s). We encourage you to be creative, pay attention to detail, and make sure the room expresses you and your AU spirit. Remember, we'll be judging on your creativity, not how much you own. Make sure no people are in your photos, let your space shine!
- Submit your three (3) best bedroom photos and a short story (50 words or fewer) for your room through our form.
- Make sure to LIKE/FOLLOW Housing & Residence Life @HomeAtAU on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Watch for your room album to post on Instagram and Facebook, share it with all of your AU friends and family encouraging them to follow us and like your album to help you in pursuit of the ultimate grand prize.
The photo with the most "likes" will win our People’s Choice prize. Voting for this category will begin on November 18 until November 19.
Finalists will be contacted by Housing & Residence Life to schedule a photo and video shoot of their room for announcement and publication.
- Best Nest: Your room expresses your personality and who you are. The decorations and accents, such as bedding, wall decorations, and desk supplies, tell a story about your likes, your values, and your background. You have truly made your home at AU.
- People’s Choice: Votes or "likes" collected during the online voting window determine which room is the people's choice. Share your room post with your friends, make a new friend, and ask them to vote. The room post with the most likes will be best in show and take home the glory!
- AU Spirit: Your room screams American University. Furniture and decorations, such as bedding, wall decorations, and desk supplies sport the AU insignia and shades of red and blue. You also get inspiration from all that AU stands for, whether it’s the city we’re in or the values that we hold.
Winners will receive a Best Nest Winner certificate and will have the chance to be featured in American University Admissions video for the 2020 academic year.
- Best Nest: Amazon Echo Dot
- AU Spirit: AU Pride Gift Basket
- People's Choice: Single Serve Beverage Brewer with AU Mug
Rules & Eligibility
- All entries must be submitted by the deadline, Wednesday, November 13 at noon to be posted for voting.
- Entrants must "like" or follow Housing & Residence Life's Facebook page before their entries will be posted.
- Only one entry per room (roommates who share a room cannot separately apply). All roommates must agree to enter the contest.
- Only bedroom photos are eligible for submission. Students in Cassell, Nebraska, and the Frequency Apartments should not submit photos capturing their living room and/or kitchen spaces.
- Rooms must comply with health and safety expectations as written in the Student Conduct Code and Housing License Agreement, including having no prohibited items.
- By entering the contest, participants agree to the use of their photographs and names to be used by American University in electronic and print publications, social media, promotional videos, and other multimedia.
- Finalists will be contacted by Housing & Residence Life regarding a brief photoshoot of their room and the occupants for announcement and publication.
- Photographs and entries must be 100% original content. Photographs that are stolen or copied material will be disqualified
- Entries can be deleted without question at the discretion of Housing & Residence Life staff, even if the content isn't in direct violation of AU policy. We reserve the right to disqualify any person tampering with the operation of the promotion or otherwise violating these rules.