Skip to main content

International Student & Scholar Services


Int'l Student / Scholar Svcs
Fax: 202-885-3354
Butler Pavilion, Room 410

ISSS office walk-in advising hours: Mondays: 12:00 noon - 5:00 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Bakar, Senem S
Director, International Student & Scholar Services

Int'l Student / Scholar Svcs
4400 Massachusetts Avenue NW
410 Butler Pavilion
Washington, DC, USA 20016-8041

Change of Status: F-2 to F-1

To change your immigration status from F-2 to F-1, please follow the procedure outlined below. Please note the following:

  • This change of status application is to change your immigration status: IT DOES NOT GRANT YOU A VISA. The next time you travel outside the U.S. you will be required to go to a U.S. consulate or embassy abroad to apply for an F-1 visa.
  • You and your primary F-1 visa holder must still be maintaining status on the date that you file the change of status application. In other words, your your F-2 visa status must not have expired at the time of change of status application.
  • To be eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Curricular Practical Training (CPT) after change of your status to F-1, you must have been enrolled full-time for at least one academic year prior to applying for OPT or CPT.
  • The change of visa status application can be submitted online by using the Electronic Immigration System (ELIS), or by mail. ELIS is designed to streamline the processing of change of status applications and allow applicants to track the status of their applications. ISSS highly encourages students to utilize this online application system, as it may be faster and is easy to use. If you decide to submit your application online through ELIS, there is a processing fee of $290.00.
  • Your will be not eligible to enroll in the program you are admitted until the change of status is approved.

Steps to Follow:

  1. Obtain an I-20 from American University and prepare the documents listed below before you begin your application. To obtain an I-20 from ISSS, submit proof of financial support (bank statement, scholarship letter, affidavit of support, etc.), and the Certificate of Finances for International Students (CFIS) form. For estimated costs per program of study, please check the cost guides for international students.

    Note: Please have a credit/debit card handy to use for SEVIS fee and online filing fee payments. Scan and save all the documents listed below with the appropriate file name in a PDF format before starting the application process, if you plan to use the ELIS online application system. Keep a photocopy of each item for your records.
  2. Pay SEVIS fee of $200 online at SEVIS I‑901 Fee processing website. Remember to print out payment receipt.
  3. Complete I-539 Application to Extend/Change Non-Immigrant Status (only if you want to submit your application by mail)
  4. Prepare a letter requesting the change of status and explaining the circumstances, which merit such a change. This could include how your full-time study in F-1 status will support your academic and career goals. An ISSS advisor may review the draft letter for you.
  5. Copy of biographic page of your passport with expiration date.
  6. Copy of F-2 visa stamp.
  7. Copy of Spouse's I-20
  8. Copy of I-94, which can be obtained from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website (include dependent’s I-94, if applicable)
  9. Copy of official admission letter from American University.
  10. Copy of signed I-20 from American University.
  11. Copy of proof of financial support (bank statement, scholarship letter, affidavit of support, etc.) dated within the past three months and an English translations, if needed.
  12. If you chose to apply online, create an individual online account on ELIS (Electronic Immigration System). To create an ELIS account, please visit the USCIS ELIS website. For a step by step guide about filing your change of status application on ELIS, please see the our ELIS instructions page.
  13. Submit your application after carefully answering the questions in the online application form, uploading the above documents, and making an online payment of $290.00 for filing fee. Make sure to complete your application on a computer connected to a printer so you could print the receipt and a print out of your application.
  14. When you receive your Notice of Action Approval (I-797A) form with the change to F-1 status, please bring the Notice of Action Approval (I-797A) form and Passport to ISSS so that ISSS can activate your SEVIS status. 

Disclaimer:These materials have been prepared for general information purposes only. They do not constitute legal advice or serve as a substitute for legal counsel.