Skip to main content

International Student & Scholar Services


Int'l Student / Scholar Svcs
Fax: 202-885-3354
Butler Pavilion, Room 410

ISSS office walk-in advising hours: Mondays: 12:00 noon - 5:00 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Bakar, Senem S
Director, International Student & Scholar Services

Int'l Student / Scholar Svcs
4400 Massachusetts Avenue NW
410 Butler Pavilion
Washington, DC, USA 20016-8041

Change of Visa Status

This information is for those individuals who are NOT in F-1 status and are planning to change their status to F-1 inside the United States. Please be aware that this application is to change your status: IT WILL NOT GRANT YOU AN F-1 VISA STAMP IN YOUR PASSPORT. The next time you travel outside the United States, you will be required to go to a U. S. consulate or embassy abroad to apply for an F-1 visa.

Please note that changing status within the US generally takes 3-6 months. Please allow ample time to complete this process.

Please see the Quick Links to the right for more information about changing your specific status type to F-1 student status. If you are interested in changing to J status or if you do not see your status type listed, don't hesitate to contact us at or 202-885-3350.

For a step by step guide about filing your change of status applicatIon on ELIS (Electronic Immigration System), please check the ELIS instructions page here.

*PLEASE NOTE: A change of status from B1/B2 to F-1 is generally not advisable within the U.S. If you are changing from a B1/B2 to F-1, it is advisable to travel outside of the U.S. and apply for a F-1 visa. Otherwise, please contact an immigration lawyer that can best help you with the situation.