Students who have a job offer from an international organization on the approved list may apply for employment authorization while in F-1 status.
Authorization is given by the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) with a recommendation from ISSS. USCIS may take up to 3 months to approve this work authorization.
- Have a written offer for a position by and within the scope of a recognized international organization per the International Organization Immunities Act ( 22 USC 288 Stat. 669).
- Be a full-time student in a degree program holding F-1 status through American University
Hours Per Week
- 20 hours during academic year (if combined with on-campus employment or pre-completion OPT, total hours worked cannot exceed 20)
- No limit during vacation periods
- Bring the following documents to ISSS:
- Completed form I-765 (PDF)
- Employment offer letter from the approved international organization, on letter head, including: job responsibilities and begin and end date.
- Passport with F-1 visa
- Current I-94 record indicating F-1 status
- Current and all previous I-20s $410 check, cashier's check or money order, payable to US Department of Homeland Security (verify fee in case of increases on the I-765 instructions)
- Two passport style photos
- Copies of previous employment authorization documents (if applicable)
- ISSS will notify you within 3 - 5 business days when your application is ready for you to pick-up with your new I-20 recommending employment authorization.
- Mail your complete application to USCIS within 30 days.