Skip to main content


Int'l Student / Scholar Svcs
Fax: 202-885-3354
Butler Pavilion, Room 410

ISSS office walk-in advising hours: Mondays: 12:00 noon - 5:00 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Bakar, Senem S
Director, International Student & Scholar Services

Int'l Student / Scholar Svcs
4400 Massachusetts Avenue NW
410 Butler Pavilion
Washington, DC, USA 20016-8041

Information to Submit to Your Admissions Office

After you are admitted to American University, you will need immigration documents to present at the United States Embassy or Consulate in your country to apply for an F-1 or J-1 student visa. Most non-U.S. citizens who wish to study in the United States have to apply for an F-1 non-immigrant student visa. J-1 visas are only issued to students and scholars when their financial sponsor or exchange program requires that they study on a J-1 visa.

For information on visa responsibilities, please click on the following links:

If you plan to study at American University on an F-1 student visa, you will need an I-20 form, issued by International Student & Scholar Services at American University. To study on a J-1 visa, you will need a DS-2019 form issued by your financial sponsor. If your sponsor does not issue DS-2019 documents, your DS-2019 will be issued by International Student & Scholar Services at American University. If you have not already done so, please tell your admission unit which visa you wish to apply for.

Whether you are an undergraduate or graduate student, your admission unit will send us a request to process an I-20 or DS-2019 on your behalf after you fulfilled the following requirements:

  1. You have been admitted to American University.
  2. Your admissions unit has received the necessary immigration-related information from you and the completed Certification of Finances for International Students (CFIS) Form. (For questions on the process, contact your admission unit directly).
  3. You have paid your deposit.