Skip to main content

International Student & Scholar Services


Int'l Student / Scholar Svcs
Fax: 202-885-3354
Butler Pavilion, Room 410

ISSS office walk-in advising hours: Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Tuesdays: 12:00 noon - 5:00 p.m.

Bakar, Senem S
Director, International Student & Scholar Services

Int'l Student / Scholar Svcs
4400 Massachusetts Avenue NW
410 Butler Pavilion
Washington, DC, USA 20016-8041

Exchange Visitor Employment

United States law requires you to obtain written authorization before starting any type of compensated employment. Beginning work without authorization from your J-1 program Responsible Officer is a serious violation of your J-1 status.

As a scholar with J-1 status, you may be eligible to work in the United States during your time at AU. REMEMBER: you need written permission from your J-1 program Responsible Officer, and you cannot start work before first obtaining this written authorization. 

If you have J-2 status dependents, they may be also eligible to legally work while in the United States. For more thorough information on that subject, find the link below.

Below are brief summaries of the definition of work and the different types of work for which you may qualify. As always, feel free to contact us and talk with one of our advisors for more information.

According to the USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) definition, compensated employment means work performed in exchange for a benefit. Employment authorization is necessary for work under any of the following circumstances:

  1. If you receive a salary, hourly wage, fees, books, supplies, transportation, or any other benefit in exchange for work.
  2. If the individual normally holding your position receives payment.

J-1 Scholars

J-2 Dependents