Campus Life Logo

International Student & Scholar Services


  • Int'l Student / Scholar Svcs
    Fax: 202-885-3354
    Butler Pavilion, Room 410

    ISSS office walk-in advising hours: Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Tuesdays: 12:00 noon - 5:00 p.m.

    Bakar, Senem S
    Director, International Student & Scholar Services

Mailing Address

Employment for J-2 Dependents

If you are a J-1 exchange visitor traveling with J-2 dependents, your J-2 dependents are eligible to apply to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for employment authorization.

Please note that J-2 dependents are not permitted to work or to receive a US Social Security Number until they have received an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card from the USCIS. Processing time for the EAD should take at least two or three months.

J-2 dependents with employment authorization may work until the date on the EAD card or until the J-1 principal visitor completes his or her program, whichever comes earlier. J-2 dependents may apply to renew work authorization, as long as the J-1 visitor remains in J-1 status. If the J-1 receives an extension of stay, the J-2 dependent must re-apply for work authorization after the extension has been granted. It is recommended that applications for extensions of the EAD be made at least 3 months in advance of the expiration date on the card.