Skip to main content

International Student & Scholar Services

Program Cost Guides for International Students

Estimated Costs for 2016-2017 Academic Year

The costs below are estimates based on current economic conditions. An increase of 5 - 7% should be anticipated for each succeeding academic year.

The documents in this table are in PDF format. 

Undergraduate Degree Program $62,819
Graduate: College of Arts & Science (CAS)    $59,910*
Graduate: School of Communication (SOC)  $59,910*
Graduate: School of Public Affairs (SPA)$59,910*
Graduate: School of International Service (SIS) $61,410*
Graduate:Kogod School of Business Master of Science in Accounting (MSA)/Master of Science in Finance(MSF)$59,910*
Graduate: Kogod School of Business Master of Business Administration (MBA) $74,134*
Master of Laws (LLM) $61,860*
LLM-MBA $61,860
Juris Doctorate (JD) $76,261
Doctor of Juridical Science (SJD) $58,963*
PhD Maintain Matriculation $33,546*
SPExS Washington Semester (1 semester) $21,990
SPExS Washington Semester (2 semesters)
Graduate Professional Studies
Abroad at AU (1 semester) $22,296
Abroad at AU (2 semesters) $42,792
Abroad at AU Exchange Program (1 semester) $11,284
Abroad at AU Exhange Program (2 semesters) $20,768
English Language Training Academy (ELTA)
Fall ELTA & Spring Washington Semester Program or Abroad at AU$39,279
Summer ELTA & Fall Washington Semester Program or Abroad at AU $32,681

* Includes summer costs

Please note that health insurance fees for the academic year 2016-2017 had not been established when these costs were determined, so the estimated costs are subject to change. A total increase of 5% - 7% should be anticipated for each succeeding academic year.

Financial Documents for F-1 (Student) Visa  

If you intend to apply for an F-1 (student) visa, you will be required by a U.S. consular officer to present a Form I-20 and supporting financial documents to demonstrate your ability to meet financial obligations for the first year of your academic program (costs are outlined above). In order to obtain a Form I-20 from American University, the student must first be admitted into the university. For more information, please contact ISSS at (202) 885-3350 or visit: How to Obtain Immigration Documents.

Important Additional Costs

Students should be able to meet the following costs as they apply to their particular situation (costs may increase by about 5-7% per year due to inflation and other external factors):

  1. Travel expenses between home country and U.S. during vacation periods
  1. Large purchases (such as computers, furniture, etc.)
  1. Medical expenses not covered by health insurance (eye care, dental care, medical problems developed before arriving at the university)
  1. Additional summer expenses (if any) including tuition and fees, room and board, and books
  1. Additional expenses such as travel during vacation periods and off-campus transportation
  1. Other personal expenses (such as entertainment, social outings, etc.)
  1. Additional family members (if any)


Married students who plan to bring their families should add at least $5,500 for their spouse and $4,000 for each child per year to their annual living expenses.


There are limited opportunities for scholarships and financial available to international students in the US.

List of scholarships, grants, and other financial aid sources for international students are available at the following webpage: Financial Aid and Scholarships for International Students. Students are encouraged to research other funding opportunities as well.

Academic scholarships for international students at American University are extremely competitive and very limited. They are awarded only to students applying for the fall semester who have outstanding academic records.

Only citizens of the United States and permanent residents are eligible to apply for need-based financial aid (requiring a FAFSA application form). Please see the AU Financial Aid website if you think you qualify.