You are here: American University Campus Life International Student & Scholar Services Current Scholars & Student Interns

Current Scholars & Student Interns J-1 Exchange Visitors

Below you will find information regarding your requirements for maintaining J-1 status and completing your exchange visitor program. Please contact ISSS at with any questions.

While AU is your primary contact during your program, the U.S. Department of State Exchange Visitor Program has an emergency hotline that is available 24 hours a day, 7 days per week: 1-866-283-9090.

Reporting Requirements

Any change in U.S. address must be reported to ISSS within 10 days in order to maintain your J-1 status.

Report your change of address by submitting the Address Change e-form on iEagle

You must have a valid DS-2019 while in J-1 status at American University. If you wish to extend your program, please complete the Program Extension e-form on iEagle at least 4 weeks prior to the DS-2019 expiration date.

The US Department of State requires all J-1 visa holders to maintain health insurance for themselves and for any dependents in J-2 visa status, for the entire period of the program indicated on the DS-2019.

All J-1 scholars and student interns are required to provide written proof of insurance coverage to ISSS upon arrival at American University. The information must be in English and indicate that the insurance meets the minimum requirements. J-1 scholars and student interns must submit the J-1 Exchange Visitor Health Insurance Verification form (EFORM) to ISSS.

Minimum Requirements 

Program participants and their dependents are required to have medical insurance coverage with the following minimum benefits. 

  • Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness 
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000 
  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000 
  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.  
  • Any insurance policy, plan, or contract must be underwritten by an insurance corporation with an A.M. Best rating of "A-" or above, an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of "A-I" or above, a Standard and Poor's Claims Paying Ability rating of "A-" or above, or a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of B+ or above. Alternatively, the sponsor may ascertain that the participant's policy is backed by the full faith and credit of the government of the exchange visitor's home country.

Insurance Companies

Below is a list of health insurance companies. American University does not endorse these companies and is providing the below list for informational purposes only.

Compass Student Insurance
Gateway Health Insurance
International Student Health Insurance (ISO)
Seven Corners
VISIT Travel & Medical Insurance Program

J-1 scholars may travel outside of the United States during their program. If the time spent outside of the United States will be more than 2 weeks, you must submit the Out of Country e-form on iEagle before you travel.

To re-enter the United States, carry the following documents with you:

  • Valid DS-2019
  • ISSS travel signature on your DS-2019 that covers the period you will travel and return to the U.S.
  • Passport that is valid for at least 6 months after the date you will return to the U.S.
  • Valid J-1 visa
  • SEVIS I-901 payment confirmation
  • Financial documents dated within the past 3 months to cover the length of your exchange visitor program
  • ISSS contact information

Ending Program

You must leave the U.S. within 30 days of the end of your DS-2019 or the program end date (whichever is earlier). Submit the Program Completion e-form on iEagle when you finish your program.

Ending Program Early

Please notify your host department and ISSS immediately if you or any of your J-2 dependents leave the U.S. permanently before the program end date listed on the DS-2019. 

Upon completion of the program, please submit the J-1 Student Intern Evaluation on iEagle which the student intern supervisor must then complete and approve.

To transfer your J-1 exchange visitor immigration record to another sponsor, please submit the J-1 Transfer Out Form (PDF)