F-1 Employment: Application Procedure for Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
To be eligible for Curricular Practical Training, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- be in F-1 status for one academic year of full time study (2 semesters, not including summer)
- be in a degree or certificate seeking program
- engage in employment related to your major/academic program
- register for internship credit
Required Steps for CPT:
Eligible F-1 student applying for CPT must follow the 6 step process for credit internships (paid or unpaid).
Step 1:Contact your academic advisor to verify your academic eligibility to register for an internship, and to start the registration process.
Sept 2: Come to ISSS with Internship registration form(s) to verify immigration eligibility for CPT authorization.
Step 3: Proceed with registering for internship credit(s).
Step 4: Once Registration is processed you will receive an e-mail notification confirming registration and the fact that you must wait 3-5 business days for ISSS to authorize CPT employment.
Step 5: Within 3-5 business days, you will receive an e-mail from ISSS to pick up CPT I-20 with internship authorization and you can begin the internship.
Step 6: After you have the new I-20 with the CPT authorization, you can begin the internship on the approved date.
CPT authorization for independent study, dissertation research, practicum, SIS 0-credit option, WCL externship, or extension of internship dates:
Step 1: Follow department procedure to register for the appropriate class.
Step 2: After the class registration appears on your schedule, bring the following 2 documents to ISSS:
1) Employer letter including: Name of employer, address of employment, number of hours/week, start and end dates, contact information
2) CPT Departmental Verification Form signed by academic advisor or faculty advisor
Step 3: ISSS will begin the 3-5 business day process to authorize CPT employment. When it is ready, you will receive an e-mail from ISSS to pick up your CPT I-20.
Step 4: After you have the new I-20 with the CPT authorization, you can being the internship on the approved date.