Students who have a job offer from an international organization on the approved list may apply for employment authorization while in F-1 status.
Authorization is given by the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) with a recommendation from ISSS. USCIS may take an average of 3-4 months to approve this work authorization.
- Have a written offer for a position by and within the scope of a recognized international organization per the International Organization Immunities Act ( 22 USC 288 Stat. 669).
- Be a full-time student in a degree program holding F-1 status through American University
Hours Per Week
- 20 hours during academic year (if combined with on-campus employment or pre-completion OPT, total hours worked cannot exceed 20)
- No limit during vacation periods
- Email the following documents to ISSS:
- Completed Form I-765
- Employment offer letter from the approved international organization, on letter head, including: job responsibilities, begin & end date, and hours per week.
- Passport with F-1 visa
- Current I-94 record indicating F-1 status
- Current and all previous I-20s
- Copies of previous employment authorization documents (if applicable)
While ISSS is reviewing your application, please prepare 2 new passport sized photos and a Cashier's Check, Personal Check or Money Order for $410.00 (payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security). Here is a guide.
The filing fee was not updated to $550 on October 2, 2020 due to a temporary injunction. Always verify the fee on the I-765 instructions.
ISSS will review your request within 3-5 business days and contact you back if more information is needed.
When your new I-20 is ready, ISSS will email it to your official AU email address along with mailing instructions to send your complete IO packet to USCIS.
USCIS must receive your IO application within 30 days of your new IO I-20 issuance date. If not received within 30 days, IO will be denied and appeal is not possible.Please include a Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance, in your IO packet to receive a text or email message from USCIS after they accept your application for processing.
- Mail your complete application to USCIS within 30 days.