- Make all space reservations prior to filling out the form. It is your responsibility to specify your top 3 spaces in 25Live, and once your event is confirmed, you will receive the space assignment (See Room Reservation Information tab for more assistance).
- NOTE: You must submit the 25Live reservation number in the proposal form, therefore if your event is off campus/does not require space, please specify that in the 'Additional Information for the Scheduler' section.
- Keep in mind the size of your event! If we believe the space you requested will be too big/small for your event, we will make modifications to best accommodate everyone.
- You will receive an event confirmation from the Office of Orientation, Transition & Retention regarding your event by the end of May. This means you are on the official Welcome Week schedule and all changes need to be submitted to Ali Russell at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as they arise.
- Welcome Week marketing begins in mid-June therefore we ask that you refrain from making changes to your event after that point.
The Welcome Week event proposal deadline is May 7th at 5pm! No late submissions will be accepted.
During a blackout period, you cannot directly request the space you want, therefore you must identify a "Location Preference"
- Once you reach the Locations portion:
- In the 'Search by Location Name', write in 'Event space', click on the first "EVENT SPACE" that comes up.
- Do not select "SIS EVENT SPACE", or "SOC EVENT SPACE", etc. "EVENT SPACE" will be sent to University Event Scheduling to confirm your Welcome Week reservation.
- Once you select "EVENT SPACE" continue to finish your event reservation until you get to "Add additional COMMENTS and NOTES for this event". Under 'Additional Information for the Scheduler', please write in your preference spaces for your event.
- Once you have completed your event space request, please note your reference number at the bottom left. You will need this to complete the Welcome Week Event Proposal form.
- If you have any questions regarding your room reservation, feel free to contact UES@american.edu or call their office at (202) 885-3939.
Event Planning Resources
Before Your Event
Complete a Welcome Week Event Proposal form
Once you have received a confirmation, review your event posting on the website schedules, which will be available in mid-June on the main Welcome Week page. Email Ali (email@example.com) if there are any changes or edits to your event.
During Your Event
Have a last minute change or weather delay? Email OTR (firstname.lastname@example.org) so we can push out announcements via social media as needed
Use the hashtag #AUWelcome while posting on social media during events
After Your Event
Send OTR (email@example.com) links to photos or videos to be shared on Welcome Week social media
Complete the Welcome Week Feedback form to let us know how your event did
- Keep in mind the number of participants who attended your event and suggestions you have for future events
The Welcome Week Leadership Committee is responsible for implementing Welcome Week activities and overseeing the various subcommittees. This year's Leadership Committee includes the following members:
Jose Cadiz Coordinator, Programs and Operations Ctr for Community Engagement and Svc
Christina Colasanto Associate Director for First Year Experience Housing and Residence Life
Maya Graham Coordinator, Program Initiatives University Center and Student Activities
Kailey MacDonald Part Time Staff
Ann Marie Powell Director of OneCard and Dining Services
Jordan Tobin Assistant Athletic Director for Facilities and Operations Athletics and Recreation
Angelica Villegas Coordinator, University Event Scheduling University Center and Student Activities
Please e-mail Kailey MacDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or want to get involved in any of the following subcommittees:
- Programming (including academic programs and Welcome Week at Night events)
- Move-in Logistics
- "Orientation" Programs
- Communications and Marketing