You are here: File a Report

Report to the University

Filing a report with the University does not obligate a reporter to open or participate in a formal investigation. Reporting to the University also allows the University to provide any available interim protective measures such as academic accommodations, housing changes, changes to class or work schedules, and no contact directives.

File a report

Report to Law Enforcement

Law enforcement can provide you with protection, document the incident, and/or initiate a criminal investigation. Individuals should report sexual violence, relationship violence, and stalking to University Police as soon as possible - timely reporting gives law enforcement the best chance to resolve the complaint. University Police will help you file a university incident report and assign a female or male officer, as requested, to handle the initial interview.

University Police/AU Public Safety

202-885-2527 (non-emergency);
202-885-3636 (emergency)
24 Hours Don Myers Building terrace level (East Campus)

You will have the option of contacting MPD when you report the incident to University Police. It is important to preserve evidence as proof of a criminal offense and for obtaining a protection order. University Police will honor and respect your decision to pursue or not to pursue some course of criminal or civil action. If you so choose, University Police can assist with obtaining a sexual assault foresnic exam ("rape kit") and provide support as you work with the MPD Sex Crimes Unit.

University Police has the option to bar non-affiliates from all AU property, when they are respondents in an allegation involving sexual violence, dating or domestic violence, or stalking.